Hello from Indiana

Introduce yourself to the members. Any general Announcements.
Warhawk

Hello from Indiana

Postby Warhawk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:49 am

Hello, I have not keep PDF before but I have been researching and preparing for my first group. I currently keep geckos (leopard and fat tail), tortoises, Fire Belly toads, plus a few other amphibian/reptiles so now really new to the hobby.

I'm looking for a local breeder for PDF my first pick would be Dendrobates tinctorius or Dendrobates leucomelas. But I'm open to others if I can get them locally. If not I will be ordering them online later this month.

Looking forward to learning more about these little guys and getting to know some of you people.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Hello from Indiana

Postby Philsuma » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Greetings! Do be shy - no question is a bad question. All we ask is that you read and look for a similar question / thread before starting a brand new one, as chances are, someone has been 'down that road' before and posted it here.

Indiana is a good spot for fellow froggers, just be patient and you'll find people close by.

Warhawk

Postby Warhawk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks most of my questions I have been able to find answers for.

One that I haven't found yet is drainage. Lets say I set up a 20g tank with a drainage layer how do I drain the extra water out of the bottom? Only ways I can think of is drill a hole for a bulkhead or do I insert a tube so I can siphon out the water. Not sure which would be the better way in the long run.

I feel sure there are some local froggers but in my area it is pretty hard to find groups close by. Might do a road trip and hit a reptile show maybe they would have something. I have been looking at a few of the online stores so I get the feel for prices. Looks like the 2 types I'm looking at are $30-40 each but did find one place that does 3 for $80 plus shipping.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:11 pm

Drain holes / bulkheads are mainly for misting systems and a lot of mist. Hand misting, you really don't need.

Syphons, hand pumps and pep boys oil crank pumps are all good - no worries

and lastly, a LOT of people just leave the standing water in the viv. If the viv is made right, it will not stink one bit! I had 40 vivs ALL with years and years of standing brown water - not a single bad smell unless you consider 'earthy' bad. Smells like the jungle a bit...not at all trashy or smelly or stinky.

Warhawk

Postby Warhawk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks for the info. I don't plan on doing misting systems but if I really enjoy the little guys I might do that down the road. Having come from the fish aquarium hobby I know all about drilling tanks not one of my favorite things to do. I was running 30+ tanks at one point but while that was fun I liked working with my geckos and frogs more so many of those are getting reused.

I don't mind leaving the water in the viv I assume the plant roots will grow down to that level at some point and it would help with the humidity if I keep the lid closed.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:58 pm

Welcome to the hobby! Enjoy the forum! It's a nice format with lots of information and helpful folks.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Return to “Introductions and Announcements”