Thumbnails are arboreal?

General Dart Frog Questions and Comments. Care and Husbandry
Frogopolis

Thumbnails are arboreal?

Postby Frogopolis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:34 pm

I wanted to talk about my experience with Iquitos and get other people's opinions and other input.

I've been keeping this species, R. Amazonica "Iquitos" for the last two years. I maintain three different groups of them in three separate enclosures with a total of about 17-18 frogs. One of my enclosures is an Exo Terra 18x18x24 and holds about six individuals. I think...there are three males and three females in there. They have been in this enclosure for the last year and it's the one I pay closest attention to. What I have noticed is the frogs never climb any higher than 10-12 inches. I have film canisters at every level from the just above the ground up to a few inches from the ceiling. There are all types of ledges, cork tubes, monkey ladders and plants that give the frogs plenty of opportunity to climb all the way to the heights of the enclosure but I rarely see any of them up there. They normally breed in the canisters that are about 10 inches from the ground.

My question is if this species really needs a lot of height. Also, based on this experience of mine, I've been wondering if it would be possible to raise 3-4 in a 10 gallon aquarium arranged horizontally. Of course I would design the aquarium in the most optimal way in that it would give them plenty of access to all levels of the aquarium. I've kept froglets like this while they grew out for 3-4 months but I never kept any longer than this length of time.

I am seriously considering trying this. I'd like to know what you think.

Also, I've noticed one important thing about this species when it comes to breeding. These frogs will not breed unless the canisters are filled with distilled water. I periodically clean out the canisters and sometimes I'm out of distilled water and I use tap water or bottled spring water and they just won't go near it. I've read many times that some keepers thumbnails won't breed unless there is distilled water in the enclosure and this is the exact case with my Iquitos.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Thumbnails are arboreal?

Postby Philsuma » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:17 pm

One frog per 10 gallons ( a LITTLE more if constructed optimally)

That is ^^ an oversimplification but closer to a 'rule of thumb' (no puns or pums please, heh) than not.

like most all thumbs with the possible exception of reticulatus, they are more arboreal than not.

VERY interesting observation about the distilled water. Keep investigating that, for sure!

Frogopolis

Postby Frogopolis » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Offhand do you know the calculated amount of gallons for my Exo Terra(18x18x24)?

For dart frogs in the wild, especially thumbnails, what height is considered arboreal for them. They can't be living up in the canopy with the tree frogs. My R. Imitator "Chazuta" though will climb all over the place but my Nominants and Veradaro tended to stay in one general area.

Another thing - My D. leucomela are the only species of darts I've ever had that climb all over the place. They will travel and breed under the leaf litter and climb all the way to the top of the enclosure and try and get past the lid.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Return to “General Questions and Comments”