Sex these adult Azureus please - pics

General Dart Frog Questions and Comments. Care and Husbandry
_ld99

Sex these adult Azureus please - pics

Postby _ld99 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:08 am

Hey guys, I have always figured that my azureus is a male. He is about 18 months old. I just wanted to know what you guys think. Heres some pictures. (All the pics are in the same link). Thanks a lot
https://plus.google.com/107785918218159 ... 6cEqnPpYJd

joneill809
Site Admin

Re: Sexing adult Azureus

Postby joneill809 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:42 am

It has the look of a male, but it appears underweight and could be a female. Perhaps it's the angles and lighting, but here are some screen captures and comments:
image.jpeg
Sides appear sunken in and stomach seems visible from a recent feeding. Typically I would not expect to see sunken sides or a stomach bulge on an adult animal.
image.jpeg (60.1 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

image.jpeg
This profile does look male. Looks thin to me, and the musculature of the legs seems a bit underdeveloped.
image.jpeg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

image.jpeg
This image could just have a bad ange, but this photo seems to show an animal that is underweight. The sides at the upper back seem sunken in and the rear legs appear thin.
image.jpeg (38.86 KiB) Viewed 1083 times

Nothing here looks irreversible - I would just focus on getting more weight on the animal. What is your feeding and supplement regiment? Types of feeders, amount, frequency, supplement type, etc. Perhaps some pictures of the enclosure would help as well to see if there are any environmental stressors. Tincs can put weight on fast so you can likely see a difference from a change in feeding in weeks.

I've seen stressed / underweight female tincs that look like a male. I would try to get more weight on this animal before introducing another which could stress it and lead to further weight loss. Perhaps my concerns are unfounded and it is just lighting and bad angles.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:49 am

My thoughts exactly Jim,

Underweight

I'd guess 60% chance of it being a male

_ld99

Postby _ld99 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks for the response. I feed about 40 flies a day, every now and then every other day. I use repashy calcium plus and dendrocare. Alternating which one i use every day. Every 2 weeks i use repashy vitamin a plus. He is 1.5 years old and he has always looked like this so im not too worried. As for the gender, he has pretty big toe pads so i always figured its a guy. His posture seems to look different depending on how he stands so that always through me off a little bit. Thanks for the reply

_ld99

Postby _ld99 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:36 pm

This is a little better angle. You can tell that his stomach isnt sunk in like the other pictures made it seem.
Attachments
20160807_193458.jpg

Frogopolis

Postby Frogopolis » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:32 pm

I have a pair of Azureus that are between 4-5 years old. At this point it's clearly obvious the difference between the two but when they first paired up it was difficult just taking a glance at them. It was the behaviour of the female that really set them apart.

Just looking at the frog and what I can see of his body and toe pads I'd say it was a male. Also, at the age it doesn't seem to have much of the typical female hump on it's back...IMO

Good Luck!

Return to “General Questions and Comments”