White Spot on D. tinctorius azureus

Have a sick Dart Frog? Preventative, Treatments, Methods and Medicines.
Anapsid

Re: White Spot on D. tinctorius azureus

Postby Anapsid » Fri May 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Yea, they assured me it was only due to stress from traveling to the expo, and that feeding them twice a day would cause them to bounce back and that it was normal.

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Sat May 17, 2014 12:11 am

And the money back guarantee was what exactly? Being that assured was used...
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Sat May 17, 2014 8:57 am

Anapsid wrote:Yea, they assured me it was only due to stress from traveling to the expo, and that feeding them twice a day would cause them to bounce back and that it was normal.

Wrong...These frogs were severely neglected way before going to the expo and Tincs don't loose weight overnight! I could not feed my Tincs for 2-3 weeks straight and they wouldn't look like that, guaranteed. Yes, traveling to an expo can be stressful. That's why you overfeed the week prior!

They're so underfed that that all the fat reserves have been used up and the thigh muscles are almost none existent, due to there being zero fat reserves left. I'm surprised they lived through the show...
Glenn

Anapsid

Postby Anapsid » Sat May 17, 2014 9:53 am

Well, I can say I've learned my lesson here on how to spot healthy frogs. However I do want people to know I've done an effort to try to save them both. I have spent so far $195 on vet bills just to have the living frog looked at (From what the vet can tell he looks healthy she even said well fed, which is due to my efforts) and a necropsy for the other one to check for health issues I may run into down the line. The vet did say there is hope that it could be due to the frog already being in such poor condition that it was something a healthy frog could fight off. So I am going to cross my fingers there and hope. I am in the process of buying new vivarium supplies and I am going to scrap the old one. I am trying to contact the breeder I got them from to see what they are willing to do as they sold me neglected frogs. If they give me a "your fault for buying it" then I'll post their facebook here so that way people from the Northern Virginia/DC area who see this thread know not to buy anything from them. I just don't want people thinking I was the neglectful one. I am doing what I can to save at least one of them out of this mess, so far it is already costing me three times what the purchase of the two frogs and the vivarium cost me.

Anapsid

Postby Anapsid » Sat May 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Just heard back from the Vet, she said the fecal float for the living one has revealed a large amount of coccidia. They also tried to lance the white spot...and it turned out to be a piece of debris from the enclosure...which is odd since I cannot find any thing in the tank that quite looked like it. Still going to have a necropsy done, to see if there are any other threats. The vet wants to wait and see what the lab results say about the deceased frog before beginning medication for the coccidia.

Anapsid

Postby Anapsid » Sat May 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Also wanted to point out the large amount of coccidia was from the healthier looking of the two....can only imagine what was going on with the other poor guy.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sat May 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Here's the thread on 'The Big C' if you haven't already seen it :

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7627

Chytrid is 'curable' / Coccidia is not, but that doesn't mean you have to euthanize that frog. Just know what you are dealing with.

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Sat May 17, 2014 4:23 pm

You will need to treat frogs with coccidia for life.
Quarantine is your friend.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

Return to “Hospital - Stress, Injuries, Disease and Treatments”