Tricks on how to transfer ff's into new containers?

Culturing Fruit Flies, other Insects. Supplements and Dusting.
Lanthia

Tricks on how to transfer ff's into new containers?

Postby Lanthia » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:18 pm

Okay, so my dear friend Vann stops by for our monthly happy hour. We are just chit-chatting away when I notice a ff crawling across her eyelid... Really! Is this my life now? Guests infested with ffs? Egad!

I go to her and explain nicely as I squash it, you have a wingless (??? really?) ff on your eye. Vann is a fabulous crusty lady of 75, the first female orthodontists in the very good old boy state of Oklahoma. She also has family farms where she raises cattle. She has dealt with cow manure and big flies her whole life. She actually scoffed at the ff.

One of our reasons for our friendship is my hobbies and my love of nature. But I really am having probs transferring ff when I add them to the new culture. Any tricks you can share?

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Tricks on how to transfer ff's into new containers?

Postby Philsuma » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:24 pm

Tappy tap tap. A SHARP tap on a plastic cup...

n' some dust. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1074

Broseph

Postby Broseph » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:06 pm

I always transfer flies from the typical culture to a LARGER container with supplement dust. Not just for feeding, but for making new cultures too. So much easier to manage when they can't climb and you can swirl them into a tight little pile.

For added security, I set that larger container in a tupperware container with diatomaceous earth on the bottom before the transfer. Nothing escapes. Ever.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:00 pm

Thanks everyone. I will try all this.

Return to “Feeder Insects, Nutrition - How to feed your Frogs”