I WANT A HEX OR BOWFRONT TANK !!!

Vivarium Plan design, "Build Journals", DIY, Viv Maintenance Issues.
Philsuma
Site Owner

I WANT A HEX OR BOWFRONT TANK !!!

Postby Philsuma » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Uh, no ya don't. Or at least not until you've been in the hobby for a while and had a proper Dart Frog enclosure.

The are a pain in the ass to service / feed out / clean / catch frogs ect ect. I'd put Hex and Bow front tanks (NON front-opening tanks) in the second most serious and glaring newbie mistake possible - second only to WAA WAAA WATERFALL !!

Folks, you NEED to service the vivarium thru the front. With small tanks and limited occupants like tincs ect, you may be able to get away with top opening traditional 'fishy tanks' but when you want something big and nice and auto misting and small frogs like pumilio or thumbs, then you REALLY want a front opening tank.

Can't wait for all the moss, schmutz, frog tracks, turds and fruit flies mess to really f' up that huge bow front. Sticking your arm way down inside the front glass to try to clean it every week or so is going to get old real fast.

Say it with me...

Front...Opening....

goods

Re: I WANT A HEX OR BOWFRONT TANK !!!

Postby goods » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:51 pm

I have to disagree with almost all of this...

Originally, I kept 5 benedicta in a 30 gallon hex, and having a tall tank with a controlled opening from the top made keeping track of those little lightning bolts way easier than something front opening. The hex eventually began to leak, so I moved them to an Exo. I had to catch one as it bolted numerous times when the tank opened from the front.

Cleaning them is no harder than turning a pump sprayer to the heavy stream of spray and spraying down the front glass. The force of the water washes all of the scum down to the substrate.
ZG

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:25 am

If you ain't cleanin' with a razor blade, chances are that yer glass is not looking clean. I cannot imagine wiping a bowfront -eventually it's going to look like hell.

The single opening doors - I'll give ya, for tiny thumbs jumping out, but the BEST and most innovative design is the twin sliding doors. Open one a tiny bit on it's track ect. Take them off and replace them with your second set that Chris Sherman provides and leisurely clean the first two.

Nothing easier.

WAY less escape chance than from a top opening enclosure.

goods

Postby goods » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:50 am

I threw away my razor blades when I got out of reef tanks. A paper towel with a little vinegar-water solution and it wipes down to just like new.
ZG

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:53 am

Razors or nuthin' for me.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:25 pm

CAN a hex tank be cool ? Sure.

But...

They are ALL about a million times harder to service, clean and VERY scary for escapes when you have to take the top off ect.

Just like 'waterfall' advice for newbs...do NOT start off or try for a hex tank when you are new. Front opening should be the recommendation by 100% of the older guys to the newer guys. It IS just that simple.

Return to “Enclosures, Setup and Construction”