Mold/ moss growing in vivarium

Not sure if your plant is suitable for a Vivarium? Substrate Issues and Viv pests discussed.

Mold/ moss growing in vivarium

Postby _ld99 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:15 am

So for the past month, I have noticed a copper/ brown colored mold/ moss growing in my tank. It is on my grapewood and in the soil a little bit. The frogs dont seem to mind it. The one actually sleeps on it. But do you guys have any idea what this is? Thanks ... E68mb1uagj

Site Owner

Re: Mold/ moss growing in vivarium

Postby Philsuma » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:14 pm

If it's not green, then it isn't moss.

Slime molds are fairly common in Dart Frog Vivaria. They are usually grown from over-saturated conditions. You see them in enclosures with waterfalls ect. Usually they 'peter out' on their own after an undetermined amount of time. I have never heard of molds being detrimental to frogs, so I would not worry.

Check your soil and overall humidity and make sure you don't have oversaturated or 'water-logged' conditions.It's fairly common for newer hobbyists to have soil that is too wet.

Finally, consider adding 1-3 layers of leaf litter - live oak and also magnolia are the two best leaves for our purposes. Leaf litter can be googled and purchased from a Dart Frog Vendor or business pretty easily.

Return to “Plants - Bromeliads, Aroids, Moss, Soil, Pests”