orchid care?

Not sure if your plant is suitable for a Vivarium? Substrate Issues and Viv pests discussed.
Lanthia

orchid care?

Postby Lanthia » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:20 pm

I have a phalaenopsis orchid that I want to put in the vivarium. Since it needs fertilizing once a week when it is blooming, how do I go about planting it? Should I not plant it and take it out to fertilize? What do you do about fertilizing blooming plants? Right now the orchid is planted in bark.

I have several plants I want to transfer to my viv. A fern and a begonia too. Can these just have their roots spread out and put right into the substrate of Turface and ABG? I do not use pesticides of any kind.

Are what shops refer to as miniature African violets just very young plants. How do these handle getting their leaves wet?

Thanks,
Sheryl

Lanthia

Re: orchids

Postby Lanthia » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:37 am

Ok, so I think I've answered my own question. Either I'm brilliant or a fool. lol I plan to make an area in the back for the orchid and put it in a terra cotta planter. I can cover the pot with coconut fibers and it will blend right in.

I found species that can be grown differently but this is what I have. Also the large leaves will support a df.

Return to “Plants - Bromeliads, Aroids, Moss, Soil, Pests”