With newbies, proven pair or froglets for first frogs?

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Lanthia

With newbies, proven pair or froglets for first frogs?

Postby Lanthia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Phil,

I read somewhere on this forum that you think newbies should buy young frogs and not a sexed pair. I wasn't real sure why you said that. Can you explain please? Thanks.

I've finally had time to work on my viv. Waiting for foam to dry so I can carve it. Too exciting!

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: With newbies, proven pair or froglets for first frogs?

Postby Philsuma » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:51 pm

hmmm...I cannot remember that advice. Can you try to locate and bump that thread ? I may have said something like that in a given context but I cannot, for the life of me, believe that as a blanket statement.

MAYBE...

Sexed pairs cost 200% more than younger unsexed frogs ? I dunno...

Let me search for a book in the library here to bump...

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:54 pm

Oh my goodness. I've read the whole site. I'll check my history.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:19 pm

The only thing I can think of is that a sexed pair is SO much more expensive and that if mortality due to newb-ness should occur, then the $$$ pinch is not so bad if you went with froglets.

Something like that ?

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:38 pm

No. It had to do with learning about frogs. I do get it about learning. I was reading the quarantine thread. I did not realize how fragile dfs are.

I quarantine all my fish for a month. Part of the reasons are so the fish can recover from shipment, get used to me and make sure they carry no disease into my main tank. So I get quarantine. I can see where I will learn a lot about frogs in the 40 days I tend them in smaller tubs. While raising them I would learn more about frog behavior. I'm now rethinking my choice of a proven pair. Also younger fish adapt better to new situations...is this the same for frogs?

As for cost, you spend as much if you buy 4 or five unsexed frogs trying to get a pair. What do you do with the extra frogs after you get a pair. I don't think I live in a hot bed of froggers so that I could easily re-home them.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:47 pm

That's true. Usually, like in my area, there are so many hobbyists, that it's easy to 'grow-out' the froglets, and then sell an extra or two. Usually 4 froglets = the best percentage chance at eventually ending up with at least 1.1

Raising the froglets DOES indeed 'vest' you into the growth process and you will learn more, yes. Good point.

Dart Frogs are a funny exotic animal in terms of sturdiness. A LOT of lizards and even snakes are much more delicate. Dart Frogs are actually much tougher than you would think. The problem people get into is when they over-stuff adult frogs in 'wrong' sex ratios - extra males for pumilio and extra females for Tinctorius.

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”