Judging humidity

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Lanthia

Judging humidity

Postby Lanthia » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Thank you Phil for the tip about putting 1/2" of water in the bottom of the viv. That seems like an important piece of information that I never picked up in all my research.

So how do I judge humidity. I have been spraying once a day but it would look dry the next day. I added more sphagnum moss between my substrate and my leaves and I think that has helped the humidity stay higher. I really needs some tips on how to tell if it is too wet or not.

Thanks.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Judging humidity

Postby Philsuma » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:21 pm

After the 1/2 inch of water is added to the false bottom, just spray the crap out of the entire viv - soak it a bit. Then step back and don't spray it for 1-2 days and observe. Take your hand and pick up some of the substrate and see how moist it is.

Those zoo med gauges are crap - don't rely on them.

You're just gonna hafta go by 'feel' and 'eyeball. Observe, and soon you'll have a handle on it.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Okay, but how wet should everything be? Should the plants still have water on them? I know this is hard for you to answer because I bet you can't really remember your first viv.

Yesterday I added the water then sprayed the ever-living not-shinola out of the viv. The front glass still had some drops on it, as do the broad leaves. It all looks very wet. I'll keep a log.

Thanks for your help!

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:23 pm

You want moist, humid but not sopping wet.

plants and glass need not have droplets on them but you'll know if it's too dry.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks again.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Quite welcome. Sorry there is no 'exact science' in many aspects of this hobby. Many new people try to rely on the cheap gauges - I did at first!

It's similar to fruit fly culturing. A fun but potentially maddening 'experimental' part of the hobby. Gotta roll up the sleeves (literally) and play mad scientist a bit.

'Too wet' is always better'n 'too dry', is indeed one maxim that we can draw on pretty regular though.

Frogopolis

Postby Frogopolis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Philsuma wrote:You want moist, humid but not sopping wet.

plants and glass need not have droplets on them but you'll know if it's too dry.

I once read an experienced dart frogger answer a similar question like this on another board and he said as long as there's condensation on the glass then the humidity in the tank is good enough for him.

I understand what he was trying to say but I wouldn't go so far as to not check it. His advice probably works for him because he lives up in the New England area and doesn't have to worry about soaring temperatures in the summer.

I keep three separate groups of R. amazonica "Iquitos" and although these little frogs are very tough, temp/humidity and clean water in their film cannisters, is really important to them. I myself have always checked humidity and temp multiple times during the day - it's something I automatically do. It's really something trying to balance temperature-humidity-air flow in the enclosure. There was a tine when I came home for lunch and was able to mist three times a day and check temps/humidity. Now I get up early and mist the enclosures then about twenty minutes later feed them. If you keep an enclosure long enough you get to know everything about it, particularly the changes in temp/humidity throughout the year.

Also, I've seen way too many enclosures that are just sopping wet, the soil is completely saturated and there are standing pools of water. There isn't sphagnum moss are leaf litter either, just bare soil. In the wild the dart frog's environment is not like this.

Also, it's okay if the moisture on the plant's leaves dries up.

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”