I get my froglets tomorrow!

If you are new to the hobby, then this is an excellent starting place. ALL questions are good questions here!
Lanthia

I get my froglets tomorrow!

Postby Lanthia » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:35 pm

I am so excited. I get my rio branco froglets tomorrow! I am getting three of them and hoping for a pair.

When they come in, what things should I look for when I access them? What is the normal breathing rate for a froglet? How should their skin look?

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: I get my froglets tomorrow!

Postby Philsuma » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:39 pm

You'll need to take their pulses every hour for the first week...

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Good thing I still have my stethoscope and miniature ekg machine!

Do you not have a smilie that sticks its tongue out?

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:01 am

Exciting times! Congratulations! Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Coqui

Postby Coqui » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:27 am

Congrats, nice choice.
Good luck

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:18 pm

Disaster. I lost one of my froggies. It just disappeared from it's quarantine tub. Guess I got rid of too much of the tighten tab. I thought the brick on top would make the top be too snug for escape. Not. I have not found it anywhere. My dog denies killing it and disposing of the body. She is jealous of all my critters.

When I did my daily check, all of the froglets would be at the top of their tubs. I think that was a sign they weren't happy with their new home. Anyway, I went to plan B which was to put the remaining two frogs into the vivarium. Would be cheaper to tear down the viv than to lose a second frog...not to mention my mental anguish at losing a creature in my care.

So the remaining two are doing well. One is more comfortable in it's new surroundings than the other. He has staked out a brom and hangs there. The other in on the opposite side of the viv but still shy and on the leaves.

So a question now is why do the ff's go to the center of the broms and swim until they die? I have removed them and flushed the brom. How many ff's should I add to the viv? I have been doing every other day feedings.

When I have juvie fish, I feed a lot and do extra water changes while in their growing stage. What is the thinking for feeding young frogs?

I am happy to see frog poop. Lord I'm strange, but probably not here, so I will take a sample to my local vet that does testing. Hope to establish a rapport with him. Have gotten good reviews for him with local herp people.

That is the report so far.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:15 pm

Don't worry about the broms with the dead FF. They will be fine. You should feed dusted flies every other day. For two small froglets, try for about 50 flies at a time. Some will die, or hide and not be eaten. If you see a lot of flies crawling around the viv after the 'skip day' , then adjust and cut back a little.

Fruit Flies naturally find water and when they do, they often fall in and drown. No big deal. Just account for it when doing your feedings.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 am

Sorry to hear about the loss of your froglet :(

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Moving on Sheryl - how are the other two doing?

I didn't give you a 'condolence post' because I knew you could handle the loss of a frog. Happens to the best of us.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:53 am

Philsuma wrote: You should feed dusted flies every other day. For two small froglets, try for about 50 flies at a time. Some will die, or hide and not be eaten. If you see a lot of flies crawling around the viv after the 'skip day' , then adjust and cut back a little.

Frog report:
I fed your recommended amount of flies the day before yesterday. I didn't see my frogs yesterday. (I just knew they were both dead and rotting beneath leaves.)

This morning they were both up high where I got a quick glimpse of them. They weren't out yesterday because they ate themselves into a stupor! They both are a little obese today. Guess I should cut back on the flies huh?

How often do I add more leaf litter? Can I get into the viv to fix a brom that fell down and to pull the spent orchid and replace it with another or will I freak the frogs too much?

With fish, I have to do weekly water changes and so am in the tank often. The fish soon become used to my hand and will nibble on my fingers. Are df's this way or not? Not the eating out of my hand part but the getting enured to me being in their home?

Thanks for the condolences over the loss of my frog. I can handle it but it was kind of you both to mention my loss.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:37 pm

It's hard to provide a rule of thumb on leaf litter - you will have to assess your as you go. I add more about once a year, but I use magnolia leaves which hold up really well and I tend to keep my vivs drier than other keepers. I buy a few extra gallon bags, clean them and store them so I have some on hand.

I like keeping younger frogs well fed, but if you blow in your viv and find flies hopping around I would skip a feeding. You can also encourage them to forage by scattering new flies around the viv rather than dumping them in one place.

Boldness depends on the species and to a certain extent individual frogs - I have a hard time keeping most tincs from walking out the viv door during maintenance, while my Lorenzo tend to be more shy than larger tinc locales. My thumbnails scatter when I approach the viv. It's still early - I'm sure you will start to see them more over time.

Lanthia

Postby Lanthia » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:26 pm

Frog update. I see my frogs the day after they have been fed...so every other day. Each hangs out in a brom on opposite sides of the viv. They look healthy but are still shy.

The viv looks like a jungle, which is probably good for them but bad for viewing. It's been over a month since I got them but so far, I feel like I'm watching plants grow with an occasional frog sighting. I just look long enough to make sure they are plump enough and their color is good. Of course I look eighty times a day :lol: Am I being too impatient?

Now I am trying to decide if I want frogs for my 75 gal. aquarium that just opened up. I have some time to decide. It is SPRING! and I have several garden projects that will use my hobby money for the next couple of months.

I still love Jim's Dendrobates tinctorius “Robertus” and his beautiful viv for them.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:51 pm

I have two groups of thumbnails and I usually only see a few individuals each day. I usually have to feed and leave the room then come back to see them. Not sure if pumilio are the same but that's my experience with tiny frogs :)

Robertus are Robertus. Almost too big to hide anywhere :). I have other tincs like Lorenzo and Bakhuis that are a bit more reclusive. The come out more frequently when they are breeding. Same with my red galacs. They seem to disappear over the winter then they are everywhere during the spring when they start breeding.

IME it may take months for some animals to get comfortable with you. There are folks far more experienced than me so I look forward to hearing their experiences.

Return to “Beginner Questions and Comments”