Frog Room and Frogs - Rusty_Shackleford

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
Rusty_Shackleford

Re: Frog Room and Frogs - Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:46 am

That's a good idea Scott. I was just gonna use they styro as a cushion so that any bounces while driving wouldn't hurt the vivs. I like the idea of the painters tape though. I've got plenty of rolls of that hanging around that's for sure.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL
Help stop the spread of Chytrid! Disinfect your waste water before disposing of it and double bag all solid wastes please!!

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 am

Good luck with your move Rusty! I just moved from Arkansas to Minnesota this past summer but didn't have frogs yet. We packed a 26 foot truck and both cars completely full. I mean completely! After I hooked my car to the tow dolly it got filled in every possible inch and we had to leave stuff behind. I have no clue how I'm going to have room by the time the next move comes around. I'll probably have to rent a 2nd uhaul for frog stuff alone at the rate it's all accumulating in the house. Oh man, thinking back on it now, you should've saw my wifes face when 5 minutes into the trip (she had all of our familys pets in her little mazda with her) when one of my sulcatas took a big dump in its plastic tote. I'm assuming you're doing the move yourself right? It helps out a ton when driving the truck to have a spotter with you if you don't have much exp. like I did. Haha be prepared for the most intense 55 mph marathon of your life =P Oh and the smallest bumps in the road get really magnified in the truck, I hope all your tanks make it in 1 piece dude. Good luck.
Josh

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for the good wishes Jay. Fortunately I don't have to worry about bringing furniture or anything like that. I'm selling it all because my g/f has all that stuff. I'm just worried about taking frogs and vivs.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL
Help stop the spread of Chytrid! Disinfect your waste water before disposing of it and double bag all solid wastes please!!

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:45 am

I love the communal tad tank, Jon! Do you mind telling me what type of plants you have in there? And I assume almond leaves too? Any other "secrets" to your success with it that you'd be willing to share?
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 pm

DianeCarter wrote:I love the communal tad tank, Jon! Do you mind telling me what type of plants you have in there? And I assume almond leaves too? Any other "secrets" to your success with it that you'd be willing to share?

Diane,
Thanks for the compliment. The communal tad tank is pretty easy to set up and maintain. I used a 20 gal long tank. I chose this rather than a "high" tank because I could keep a substantial volume of water in it while still keeping it shallow enough for the tads to swim to the surface to breathe. I have 7.7 gallons of water in it and the water depth measures about 5 inches above the substrate. Plenty shallow for tads. I have a very small water pump in it to circulate the water. It's a small pump and only moves about 30 gal/hr. My first choice was to go with a small sponge filter but I couldn't find one small enough to suit my needs. I really wanted to use a sponge filter because after many years of breeding cichlids I knew that cichlid fry would often graze on the sponge filter and I had a feeling tads might do the same thing. I will probably pursue putting s sponge filter in this tank after I move to FL.
The communal tad tank is a pretty simple set up. A simple base of aquarium gravel on the bottom. A couple of larger rock which break the water surface for froglets to climb out on. I'm not even sure those are necessary now as I find most froglets sitting on a lily pad resting comfortably.
As far as plants go my communal tank is probably overcrowded with plants. I went to PetSmart and bought all my plants but rinsed them first as they are notorious for being loaded with aquatic snails. I have some "foxtail", I can't remember the scientific name, but I only bought it because they were out of anacharis which is what I would have preferred to use. There is som Java moss and Java fern, and Cryptocoryne wendtii. I also purchased a set of dry bulbs at PetSmart which included 1 water lily bulb, 2 Aponogeton bulbs and 2 Onion plant bulbs. These all grew and are thriving. The Aponogeton bulbs put out long oval leaves which float on the surface just like the water lily leaves, and they flower for me. Both plants are nice for giving the froglets a place to crawl out of the water. Rounding out the plants is some duckweed. The duckweed reproduced like crazy in the first few weeks but since the system has become balanced the growth has been dramatically reduced.
Maintenance and care is very simple. Once every 10 days to 2 weeks I siphon out 1 gallon of water and replace it with aged tap water. I do add a few pieces of Indian Almond leaves to the water every week. I really only feed the tads once a week. Just the normal stuff I feed all the other tads. Bits of algae wafer, fd bloodworms, tad bites, New Life Spectrum fish food. The water is crystal clear in part to all the plant growth I believe.
If I were going to remain here for the winter I would probably put a small aquarium heater (10 watts) just to help maintain a steady temperature. Obviously this type of system would not work for all species of frogs (Dendrobates) but it will work for those genus who transport their tads all at once such as Phyllobates, Epipedobates and Ameerega.
Anything else you wanna know just ask. I'd be glad to help you.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:06 am

Thanks Jon for all this really helpful info, I truely appreciate it! I am gonna start working on a communal tad tank, I already have the 20 long tank and the sponge filters, gravel, etc.
Now help with the specifics, please. So you have a viv with Phyllobates (for instance), and the parents transport lots of tads at once. You obviously have a cup of water in the viv for the tads to be transported to. Once transported, do you simply pour the tads into the communal tank? Do you wait a few days or do this right away, or does it matter?
You say "Obviously this type of system would not work for all species of frogs, (Dendrobates)"......sorry it isn't obvious to me...why not? I know that Casper has an Azureus communal tank that works for him. Not trying to be dense here, I'm relatively new and really don't know why you say this won't work?!
I love your lilly pads, I'm going to look for them at Petsmart/Petco this week.
Do you have a moving day set yet? The reason I ask is I'm really wanting to come see your frog room (before it is dismantled!) and buy some tads from you, but I know how busy you are with this move, and my schedule is crazy too.
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:22 pm

DianeCarter wrote:Thanks Jon for all this really helpful info, I truely appreciate it! I am gonna start working on a communal tad tank, I already have the 20 long tank and the sponge filters, gravel, etc.
Now help with the specifics, please. So you have a viv with Phyllobates (for instance), and the parents transport lots of tads at once. You obviously have a cup of water in the viv for the tads to be transported to. Once transported, do you simply pour the tads into the communal tank? Do you wait a few days or do this right away, or does it matter?
You say "Obviously this type of system would not work for all species of frogs, (Dendrobates)"......sorry it isn't obvious to me...why not? I know that Casper has an Azureus communal tank that works for him. Not trying to be dense here, I'm relatively new and really don't know why you say this won't work?!
I love your lilly pads, I'm going to look for them at Petsmart/Petco this week.
Do you have a moving day set yet? The reason I ask is I'm really wanting to come see your frog room (before it is dismantled!) and buy some tads from you, but I know how busy you are with this move, and my schedule is crazy too.

Diane, I put the tads the right into the communal tad tank after they are transported. I don't know that it matters or not. I know Casper has had a lot of success with raising Azureus in a communal setting. The Dendrobates tads are cannibalistic, plus they secrete a growth limiting hormone. Which is why normally they are raised in individual cups. I'm sure given a rather large amount of water and plenty of food the tads will do just fine, however I do consider Casper's success the exeption rather than the rule. All species of the genus Ameerega, Phyllobates, and Epipedobates can be raised communally with no problems at all.
I plan on moving around Mid-December, so you still have a few weeks to get out here if you like.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks for explaining! I knew that some tads are cannabilistic, just didn't know which ones. My Azureus are only just becoming juvies right now, so I'm a long way from worrying about how to raise those tads. I am going to construct a tad tank like yours, for eventual Ameerega, Phyllobates and Epipedobates. I really like building vivs, etc, well before I introduce animals--I like having everything growing well for awhile first!
Thanks again for explaining so well to a novice! Appreciate it!

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Hey all!!!! I just wanted to tell you I'm leaving for Florida on Thursday morning!!! Packing is in high gear right now. Thanks to everyone for all your kind wishes over the last few weeks. Big thanks to everyone that came over and hung out with me (and brought beer) and cleared me out of froglets. That makes things so much easier. I may try and swing by and see my buddy Field on the way down and harass him about....everything. Rich, I'm really disappointed I didn't get a chance to make it up and see your frog room before I left. I just had too much to do in a short amount of time. I'll see y'all on the beach!!!! Happy Holidays everyone!!!!
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:18 am

I look forward to seeing your pix of your new frog room and frogs, once you get everything together in Florida! Good luck with the move!

dtfleming

Frog Room and Frogs - Rusty_Shackleford

Postby dtfleming » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 am

Good Jon, wanted to let you know my bicolors produced some tads this weekend
Dendrobates, Phyllobates, Rantiomeya, Epipedobates
Don

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:04 am

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:Hey all!!!! I just wanted to tell you I'm leaving for Florida on Thursday morning!!! Packing is in high gear right now. Thanks to everyone for all your kind wishes over the last few weeks. Big thanks to everyone that came over and hung out with me (and brought beer) and cleared me out of froglets. That makes things so much easier. I may try and swing by and see my buddy Field on the way down and harass him about....everything. Rich, I'm really disappointed I didn't get a chance to make it up and see your frog room before I left. I just had too much to do in a short amount of time. I'll see y'all on the beach!!!! Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

Hey Jon,
I didn't realize you were going so soon. If you are up by O'Hare and time this week let me know.

Rich
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 pm

Greetings from Florida all!! I made it here with no problems. I moved 20 vivs with not so much as one piece of cracked glass. I wish I would have taken pics of the packed truck...but the camera was packed in a box. It was a good trip, stopped for a 2 hour nap and other than that I drove straight through. I stopped to deliver some frogs in Layfayette, IN, Nashville, TN and Tampa, FL along the way. Big thanks to fellow frogger Dustin for helping me unload tanks today. Also big thanks to frogger Jo for helping me load up the truck. New pics to follow soon, thanks everyone. Have a great evening.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:26 pm

Glad to hear you and the frogs made it! Keep the parka packed...or did you even bother bringing it? ;)
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Bill Schwinn

Postby Bill Schwinn » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Glad you made the trip ok, it was nice meeting you as well.

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Hey everyone, I have to resize some pictures before I can upload them but everything is wonderful down here in SW Florida. All the frogs have settled in nicely, actively calling and breeding.
Yesterday I was teaching Susi how to care for tadpoles, how to prepare water for them, sucking them out with a turkey baster and feeding them. She is really an amazing lil frogger. Well on her way and I'm so proud of her.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL

IEatBugs

Postby IEatBugs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:38 pm

That's great things have settled down for you Jon, and even better Susi is on the road to becoming a successful frogger too! I am looking forward to spending more time with you guys. Now lets see some new pictures.
Dustin Y.

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Finally some pictures of the new frog room!!! Everything is going great here. I've been teaching my g/f how to feed the frogs and tads and how to make ff cultures. This week we pulled about 50 eggs, so apparently the frogs have made themselves at home in FL.
Attachments
100_3320.JPG
100_3320.JPG (66.24 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3319.JPG
100_3319.JPG (54.92 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3318.JPG
100_3318.JPG (52.18 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3317.JPG
100_3317.JPG (72.01 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3316.JPG
100_3316.JPG (72.93 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3315.JPG
100_3315.JPG (72.48 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3314.JPG
100_3314.JPG (74.54 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3313.JPG
100_3313.JPG (54.18 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3312.JPG
100_3312.JPG (64.03 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3311.JPG
100_3311.JPG (60.84 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3310.JPG
100_3310.JPG (62.12 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
100_3309.JPG
100_3309.JPG (60.99 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Wow, that must have been quite the u-haul load.

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Philsuma wrote:Wow, that must have been quite the u-haul load.

Yes it was Phil. Nothing broken though!!! The worst part was taking it up the stairs. I had to go sit in the hot tub the next day.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”