Our Dendrobates tinctorious 'Azureus' vivarium

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
BluePumilio

Re: Our azureus viv

Postby BluePumilio » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:36 pm

It looks like you're doing just fine without any advice needed!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Figured it was time for some updated vivarium photos! It's been a while and I have been slowly modifying the plantings in the vivarium. I have taken a liken to selaginella, so I went nuts and planted a variety of species throughout the viv. They are finally starting to grow in with a "jori" variety as the centerpiece:
viv-fts-20120916.jpg

Slowly the selaginella and smaller specimens are displacing my bromeliads. I have left the broms up top where they are really coloring up. Down on the floor I have been adding smaller specimens that I find visually appealing. The frogs seem to like the new plants as they are always hunting under the small canopy that is developing. Here are some close ups of my favorites:
viv-foreground-20120916_0655.jpg

I really love this Peperomia trinervula that I picked up in February. It didn't look like much when I got it, but it has turned into an amazing foreground plant:
viv-P-trinervula-20120916_0609.jpg

When I first got them they looked like this:
P-trinervula-vine-20120916_0654.jpg

A few more shots of them:
viv-P-trinervula-20120916_0649.jpg

viv-midground-20120916_0653.jpg

I am really bad with plant names, especially when a vendor swaps out what I ordered with a replacement. So Black Jungle sent this one instead of another Jori, and man did it produce some gorgeous colors, but I have no idea what the specific species is:
viv-selaginella-sp_0644.jpg

And of course a few shots of the inhabitants!
frogs-20120916_0632.jpg

bigSpot-20120916_0605.jpg

frogs-20120916_0619.jpg

Enjoy! And thanks for all the support over the past year! We're really enjoying these new additions to our family!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

outofreach

Postby outofreach » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:58 pm

Nice looking frogs, viv and pictures !

RoadRunner1083

Postby RoadRunner1083 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:17 am

Jim, Just a quick Question, Do you find that the Azereus use the upper part of the tank very often? The reason I'm asking, is I have a 40B tank, but am debating about returning it and getting one of the Exo Terra Terrariums that are 36x18x24or36. I think with the drainage area and all of the substrate a taller tank may work out better than the 40B. It seems after adding all of the substrates I would be left with not a lot of vertical space. Whether it be for frogs or plants.
Alex
Just Starting....
Making a Viv for 2-3 Azureus

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:14 am

They spend most of their time on the floor, or mid level ledges in the viv when I am in the room. They are definitely not a shy species - they actually tend to come out to the front of the viv when someone is in the room. The viv is in our playroom, and the frogs actually come to the front of the glass on occasion and watch us when the kids are playing. Kind of creepy some times ;)

The back wall has about 4 different staggered ledges about 4 to 6" deep. The side walls have 2 to 3 tiered ledges - they both enjoy the "caves" created by the stacking, and they roost there at night. It's actually funny when I feed them in the morning - they creep out to the edge of the ledge, wait for me to close the door, then leap about 6 to 8" down to the feeding area. They show little regard for their well being.

Though I only see the male in the upper terraces about once a week, there are usually multiple fresh poops in the broms at the top of the viv and even on the face of the circulation fan on occasion. I have been feeding heavily over the summer after they started breeding so they tend to hang lower, but if I cut back to every other day feeding they both start chasing flies into the upper reaches of the viv and I see them there more consistently. They rarely climb the glass, instead they use the ledges and the plants connecting the ledges to get around.

I was concerned about the footprint initially and thought I would eventually have to transfer them to a 40B but with as active as they are and there being only 2 of them, I'm getting more comfortable with the thought of this viv as a long term solution for them. I'd say if you do the 18x18x24 then focus on wide ledges capable of holding plants and stack them providing lots of hides - don't be afraid to wrap the side walls too. If you stagger them it makes it easier for the bigger azureus to move around and I think you could pull off a vert. I don't know if you could pull off a trio long term - I got lucky with getting a pair, but it could be cramped if these two did not get along. They are rarely more than 6 inches apart from each other.

My disclaimer - this viv has only been up for about 9 months. I'm a newb, and there are way more experienced keepers here than me. The female continues to grow and looks more and more gravid...it could be that she eventually gets so big she quits climbing and I may have to find more floor space for her. The male is so scrawny compared to her that I think he'll always use the upper levels of the viv to "catch a break" from her continual advances. He has a couple of good hiding spots up top where he backs in and you can only see his snout...

Sorry for rambling :)

RoadRunner1083

Postby RoadRunner1083 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 pm

joneill809 wrote: Sorry for rambling :)

Not rambling at all, I appreciate the detail. I decided to take the 40B back, and went and got the EXO Terra 36x18x18 terrarium. gives me 2 more vertical inches, and the front opening doors appeal to me. Also comes with a foam background, which I just may use as well. Thanks again!
Alex
Just Starting....
Making a Viv for 2-3 Azureus

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Great thread ! That's why some hobbyists employ a second male - 2.1 Tincs. The females are sometimes so aggressive, that a second male can sometimes alleviate some of the breeding stress.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:14 pm

Went upstairs to feed the frogs this morning and the male was in the upper reaches of the viv. Snapped a few photos. Here's the wide angle shot - he's in the upper left behind the red brom:
littleSpot_topViv_0685.jpg

And here's a close up of him browsing around:
littleSpot_topViv_0684.jpg

This is fairly typical for the male. He is a far more active climber than the female. She generally stays in the lower half of the viv most of the time, rarely straying higher than the second ledge in the viv - the ledges are now hard to see with the plant growth.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm

Fed out a bunch of hydei this morning. The pair gorged then went to the front corner under the UV bulb and basked. They were there long enough for me to notice, go get my camera & tripod, setup, and snap a few photos. They were still there when I left for work. Here they are sitting by one of my favorite plants - Peperomia trinervula - female is on the right:
pairBasking-1106_1217.jpg

pairBasking-1106_1220.jpg

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Our Dendrobates tinctorious 'Azureus' vivarium

Postby Philsuma » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Jim...I would move all those broms on the ground or low- to mid to high. They won't do well at all on the ground.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:28 pm

Thanks for the heads up Phil! I pulled the 2 broms & 2 pups from the floor of the viv about three weeks back after noticing they were not coloring up and they were getting choked out by the other plants. I'm trying them out in the froglet viv - we'll see how that goes.

The floor is now dominated by selaginella and peperomia. The Selaginella moellendorfii "Jori" that has really turned into an awesome specimen and a pair of Selaginella kraussiana have taken hold. I also have a really cool Pteris ensiformis “Evergemiensis” that you can see in the background of the basking shots (top-middle) that is coming in nicely. I'll try to get another FTS with all the changes in growth. It's amazing how much the viv changes from month to month.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:18 pm

Ok here's an updated FTS. The lower broms have been removed. The Jori has exploded and now covers most of the rear portion of the viv and has grown vertically up connecting to the upper ledges all the way up to the fan:
viv-20121107-fts_1263.jpg

Originally I probably had double the broms scattered around the viv. I've slowly removed them and replaced with other plants. Here are a few images of the plants in the lower front right that I really like - trinervula, kraussiana, and Evergemiensis in the background:
viv-20121107-plant_1267.jpg

viv-20121107-plant_1268.jpg

I need to prune and replant the trinervula again - it's getting pretty tall. And here is the female hunting in the jori - it's amazing how dense this plant has gotten with its roots/support structure:
viv-20121107-JoriHunting_1269.jpg

Chuck Lawson
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Lawson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:19 pm

That's looking great, Jim!

For some reason I have a terrible time getting any of the Selaginellas to root; they sure look nice when they're happy, tho.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks Chuck! I can believe it. I just had a golden tips that was stunning - right out in front - just melt in one day. This jori variety though is an amazing grower - fast and vertical. The kraussiana is surprisingly tough - these azureus trample everything and they are routinely perched on top of the kraussiana but it doesn't seem to show any wear.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Snapped a picture of the pair way up in the viv today. The male tends to retreat to the upper portions of the viv (18x18x24) when he's avoiding the female. Usually she leaves him alone but today she was fairly persistent. Here is a shot of her following him up to the top of the viv (male center, female left):
azureus-pair-121201_0836.jpg

This shot was purposely wide to show how how far these two went up in the viv. Typically they just hunt around in the moss on this upper shelf but today they were pretty active. Surprisingly she ventured out onto the brom leaf before giving up and retreating down to the bottom of the viv (male upper left, female lower right):
azureus-pair-121201_0844.jpg

The male began calling later in the afternoon. Funny. He needs his alone time in the morning.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 pm

It's such a rare occurrence that I have to post a picture - a Canyon Half-White doing its job munching on decaying leaf matter.
viv-20121203-iso_0865.jpg

This is only the second time I have seen an isopod out. The first time it was a Giant Orange over the summer. This Canyon was more impressive though - it was up on a ledge about 6 inches off the base of the viv.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:55 am

More Canyon Half-Whites were out tonight. Seems like they were breeding in the bottom of the FB access, but I'm no iso expert:
iso-breeding-01_2042.jpg

iso-breeding-02_2065.jpg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:58 am

Also snapped a few pics (LED ring lamp assisted) after lights out - female was up in her hide wedged between two ledges behind some plants.
azureus-female-hide-20121213_2067.jpg

azureus-female-hide-20121213_2058.jpg

goods

Postby goods » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:06 am

Jim, what are the Selaginellas growing right down the middle of the tank in your FTS and then growing low in the picture right after?
ZG

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:14 am

That is one of my favorite plants, Selaginella moellendorfii “Jori”. It gets huge. The longer stalks are now hitting the top canopy. It's an amazing grower. I've since gathered some clippings in an attempt to move it to another viv. My success there has been limited - the clippings are struggling a bit.

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”