Our Dendrobates tinctorious 'Azureus' vivarium

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
joneill809
Site Admin

Re: Our Dendrobates tinctorious 'Azureus' vivarium

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:26 am

I think I got the ID wrong in on the tall Selaginella. Jori is supposed to be a shorter variety; I now believe it's actually Selaginella plana or "Cypress spikemoss". Sorry about that. I'm not a big plant guy so you have to forgive my shaky ID's :)

Here's an updated view of the plana and this was after heavy pruning. This plant is amazing - the stalks are perfect for this viv as it can easily withstand the beating of these two azureus and I love how vertical it is. I'm not sure if it is obvious, but the specimen starts on the lower left of the viv, works its way through the low center to the right and then straight up the center to the top of the canopy. This is about 18 to 20" of vertical growth:
viv-azureus-Selaginella_plana_0124.JPG

Now I'll give my favorite little plant project props - training Peperomia trinervula to wrap around the front and side of the viv. I've been working on this patch for 6 months, with the original plants going in about 10 months ago. I have been clipping new vertical growth and replanting it horizontally keeping this low. It's a slow process, but I love the end result. One problem is the hydei gather on the leaves to clean themselves off leaving a good bit of vitamin powder behind. I think I may have to take a cotton swab to some of the bigger leaves to clean them up. But again here's another plant that can take the full weight of a tinc hunting flies:
viv-azureus-Peperomia_trinervula_wide_0123.JPG

viv-azureus-Peperomia_trinervula_left_0121.JPG

viv-azureus-Peperomia_trinervula_right_0136.JPG

I also have two Selaginella erythropus bookending the trinervula. They look delicate, but I've seen both frogs parked squarely in the middle of each specimen with no ill effects. Tough plant. Here's a couple of close ups that don't do them justice:
viv-azureus-Selaginella_erythropus_0126.JPG

viv-azureus-Selaginella_erythropus_0134.JPG

Another nice specimen is Pteris ensiformis - a nice fern that has thrown some surprisingly tall growth. This started out as a 4 to 6" tall specimen that had really fragile stems. About half the plant was destroyed by azureus trampling stems, but the half that did survive had stalks protected by a seed pod. Here's a shot of the latest stalk that has shot straight up to the top of the viv (upper left):
viv-azureus-Pteris_ensiformis_0120 .JPG

I pruned back some of the lower stalks today that were sagging over the front seed pod and the trinervula. It was good coverage and I did think twice about pruning, but I wanted to try to propagate this to another viv. Here's a close up of the foliage and of a new stalk emerging:
viv-azureus-Pteris_ensiformis_0132.JPG

viv-azureus-Pteris_ensiformis_newGrowth_0131.JPG

I really am enjoying the indoor gardening!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:25 am

Doesn't that Selaginella erythropus turn reddish sometimes ?

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:40 am

Yeah it's two colors with a red underside. It has a lot of subtle color variation and an interesting texture. It still amazes me to see what looks like such a delicate plant take the weight of a hunting adult tinc. These two specimens are starting to grow slightly taller so the frogs are spending more time underneath them these days.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 pm

More shots of my favorite plan pruning project - trinervula. It's been growing well, and these shots are after a thorough cleaning with several cotton swabs to clear off excess supplements the flies leave behind as they attempt to evade the azureus...which ends up being a futile effort :)

Here's a front view. The trinervula is now nearly spanning the entire width of the viv. I've been snipping the vertical growth off the vines and replanting laterally to facilitate spreading. I'd like this to be a low lying carpet of trinervula:
viv-azureus-Peperomia_trinervula-20130124-front_1327-sm.jpg

Front view, looking down. The darker area in the center is my false bottom access - a 4" perforated PVC pipe filled with gravel that I use for siphoning water. It's also where I dump flies to help keep the supplements from getting on the plants:
viv-azureus-Peperomia_trinervula-20130124-frontTop_1324-sm.jpg

Side view from the left showing how I've been wrapping the cuttings around the side of the viv. Each cutting is usually about 1 to 2 inches long when I transplant.
viv-azureus-Peperomia_trinervula-20130124-left_1329-sm.jpg

And finally here is the latest full tank shot - dawn/dusk lighting with the left fixture lit. It's a good illustration of the shadowing the ledges create in the viv. That is where the azureus pair spends most of their time - perched in the various caves created by the tiered ledges. The brom in the upper right is where they have two clutches going from when I removed their petri dish.
viv-azureus-fts-20130124_1327-sm.jpg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:45 pm

A few more shots from today:
viv-azureus-FTS_1345.jpg

viv-azureus-female_1346.jpg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:26 am

I pulled a few historical pictures together of the vivarium to gauge how the Selaginella "plana" spikemoss has been developing. I picked this "Cypress Spikemoss" up from Black Jungle in July of 2012. Here's a time series view of the viv - keep an eye on the upper central section of the viv - I removed the 120 MM ciriculation fan, and replaced the old lexan top with a new frosted glass piece. You can see how the Cypress moss has taken over the space where the fan was, and how it has grown laterally across the viv.
viv-azureus-planaGrowthTS-sm.jpg

Here's the same image with highlights illustrating the approximate location of the plant at each time period:
viv-azureus-planaGrowthTShighlights-sm.jpg

This has been a really fun plant to work with. It's also interesting to see how my planting preferences have changed over time, from a brom heavy layout to spikemosses and peperomia. I think I need a taller viv to see how big this plana will actually get :)

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:42 pm

A few more shots of the 1.1 pair. They are just as aggressive as our dogs come feeding time. These hydei have no chance. Here's the pair feeding in the FB access where I normally deposit flies:
azureus-20130221-feeding_1425sm.jpg

Close up of the male:
azureus-20130221-feedingMale_1420sm.jpg

Close up of the female:
azureus-20130221-feedingFemale_1421sm.jpg

I finally managed to snap a photo of the female goin' all velociraptor on the hydei and stalking them from underneath the trinervula. The flies that escape the FB access area tend to gather on the leaves of the trinervula where they attempt to remove their vitamin dust. The female creeps along under the trinervula, pops her head in a gap and nails them one by one:
azureus-20130221-feedingFemale_1431sm.jpg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:18 am

I bought this Begonia foliosa last August and it was very tiny to start. I hadn't given it much thought as it was buried under other plants. It started out as the single stem to the left:
viv-azureus-Begonia_foliosa01sm.jpg

Here's a close up:
viv-azureus-Begonia_foliosa02.jpg

For the first few months this stem did not show much growth at all. Then several new stems emerged this year, including two from several inches back in the viv. I guess it spent most of that time growing along the ledge toward the back of the viv and now it's sending stems out into the center of the viv:
viv-azureus-Begonia_foliosa03.jpg

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:51 am

Great pics, as always Jim. What camera equipment are you using again ?

pnwbare

Postby pnwbare » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:08 am

Nice! I like the begonia and I really like the Pilea involucrata next to it. If you ever have extra you want to get rid of just let me know. I would be glad to help spread the friendship (plant)
-Dan

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:05 am

Philsuma wrote:Great pics, as always Jim. What camera equipment are you using again ?

Thanks Phil! You'll laugh, but the first two begonia shots were with my iPhone 4S and cropped. The last was with a Canon 40D and a Canon 80mm 1.8.

I tend to use prime lenses; my favorites are the 80mm 1.8, a 'nifty fifty' 50mm 1.8, and a 100mm 2.8 usually with a tripod/ring lamp/remote. I have a 20D as well, and when I am in a hurry I may use our Lumix lx7 P&S.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:36 am

pnwbare wrote:Nice! I like the begonia and I really like the Pilea involucrata next to it. If you ever have extra you want to get rid of just let me know. I would be glad to help spread the friendship (plant)

:lol: that's another favorite of mine...how many favorites can you have? ;)

I bought one cutting and I've been propagating it around my vivs. Here's a wider shot of the azureus viv - begonia from above is on the left. You can see larger involucrata to the right:
viv-azureus-Pilea_involucrata02.jpg

I also have a few nice specimens in my other display viv. Here's one behind S. uncinata:
viv-galacts-Pilea_involucrata01.jpg

And here was another shot I dug up from a froglet grow out viv:
viv-azureusFroglet-Pilea_involucrata03.jpg

I'll let you know the next time I prune back the vivs and I end up with extra involucrata...it seems to be a slow grower for me. I usually end up with a bunch of S. plana every couple of months - it grows like a weed in these vivs...

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 pm

Who says tincs don't climb? ;)
image.jpg

image.jpg

That's the male climbing to the top of the viv. You can see his reflection on the glass above his head in the first shot. I was going to move that pup last night but I got tired. Made for an amusing shot this morning. The female climbs occasionally, mostly when she is getting after him to court. She spends most of her time on the floor. She's a good bit bigger than him:
image.jpg

Fun stuff. They have a lot of character - always entertaining.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:50 am

I noticed a stem from the Begonia foliosa I posted earlier had broken off. On closer inspection I noticed a "cave" in the foliage about 8 inches up off the floor of the viv in between two ledges. I decided to check back after lights out. I turned the lights back on and snapped a picture:
IMG_2153.JPG

Light it up with the flash and ...
IMG_2152.JPG

It's hard to tell, but both of them are actually in there. I'll admit that's a pretty kick butt roost. It could not have been that easy moving roots around to get in there. I'll be propagating that begonia around - no tellin' which part of it will get trampled next by the begonia busters ;)

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:55 pm

This female azureus is one bold, nosy frog. Here she was monitoring my cleaning of the viv:
azureus-nosy-P1010088.JPG

Actually she hovers around while I flush the viv and drain the false bottom. It stirs up hidden flies and she picks them off.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Like most animals, they definitely have unique personalities.

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Jim,
In the year I have been on this site, I get the most chuckles out of your pix and commentaries of Big Spot and Little Spot! Thanks for your posts/pix, keep em coming!
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Thanks Diane! These two have been so much fun to watch! Phil is right, they have so much personality....well, BigSpot, the female, really has the personality and she drags LittleSpot along with her. I was laughing a few nights ago as BigSpot meandered to the front of the viv as I was pruning and she nearly walked right out the door! And I do mean walked - she's the only frog I have seen that doesn't hop...ever. She just owns that viv!

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 am

Why hop, when you can walk!? She is definitely the queen of her castle! ha ha
But don't underestimate LittleSpot! I will never forget him, I think it must've been last summer, when you described the photo as him "glaring", and he definitely was GLARING! URGH! He was PO'd at you!!!!!!!!!!
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:16 am

Hah I forgot about that one!
IMG_0873-md.JPG

Yeah he can ge a bit of a grumpy recluse ;) He tolerates my presence most of the time. He's the climber of the two - you really have to scour the viv to find him - not that he's hiding, he's just climbing around.

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”