Diane's frogs and vivs

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
Stu&Shaz

Re: Diane's frogs and vivs

Postby Stu&Shaz » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Diane,just wanted to say how much i've enjoyed reading through the last couple of pages,i'm sorry about the little imi,these things do happen and I guess morphout with all the changes is when it is most likely.I don't think in any way you are to blame,it is how it is mate. lovely to see the auratus and now the azzies too.Just the best of luck with them,you deserve it,just culture 5x what you think you want for those bad guys as they start to grow,damn don't they eat :lol:

Thanks

Stu

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 am

DianeCarter wrote:Well I finally have very good news to report with my Azureus! Back in June, Glenn, Beth, and Jim all helped me try to sex my 4 azureus. The general consensus was that azureus B is male, and A, C, and D are females.
I am happy to report that B is indeed a male! And A and C are females! D stays to herself, and isn't involved at the moment. Maybe a late bloomer?

Chances are, that she's intimidated by the other females, but there's no need to pull her unless you see weight loss.

DianeCarter wrote:Anyway, Wednesday I noticed that A, B, and C were all 3 in the cocohut, and when they came out the 2 females followed the male all over the viv, both of them stroking him. Yesterday this continued, and I finally heard B calling! So cool! This morning I checked the petri dish under the cocohut, and sure enough, 5 eggs! 2 are moldy, and 3 are OK looking. I realize for their first clutch they will probably all go bad, but that's OK. I am just glad to confirm that I have 1 male. And I'm glad I left all 4 together, I can see Glenn's point that the dynamics are so interesting to have more than just a pair, so long as they are getting along well. And I've never had a trio before, I imagine the other female could also lay some eggs soon, it will be interesting to see what happens with that.
Thanks again everyone!
Diane

Congrats! I've seen two females and a male in a cocohut breeding together. lol The group dynamics are very interesting! I had a 4.1 group of Patricia's that wouldn't breed for 3 years. I got 5 eggs out of them in that time. I pulled the female for a few months and then added her and 2 other females to the viv, making a 4.3 group. WWIII broke out with the males for a couple of days and after they settled down the females went at it for a bit. All of them settled down within a few days and I got eggs inside of a week! :lol:

When you move your Azureus to their new viv you may see fighting amongst them. Don't panic, Diane! Just let them figured it out and establish territories. :wink:

Cheers!
Glenn

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:05 am

Thanks for the kind words, Stu and Glenn--much appreciated.
Glenn, thanks for the advice and anecdotes about group breeding! It really does make for interesting group dynamics, I enjoy watching and trying to figure out what's going on.
I will post pics of my azureus in their new viv in a couple of days--can't wait to see their reaction to new surroundings!
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:07 am

DianeCarter wrote:Darn it! I have a helluva time posting pix here, and I managed to put them in backwards!
Anyway, this is a continuation of my new build for my azureus. Today I received my shipment from NEHerps: substrates, plants, and new bugs. So I've got my new viv just about where I want it! Will let the plants and bugs acclimate/grow before I move the azureus.
Another Thank You to Jim in Austin, cause I really copied a lot from you! I love the way this viv looks!

The viv looks great Diane! I really like cork bark. It's like putting a jigsaw puzzle together. So how much extra did you end up with? Will we see 2 or three more cork bark builds from you? :D
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:03 am

Jim,
Yes, we will end up with several more cork bark builds from me! I ended up with lots of left overs!
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:32 am

I built my new viv for my azureus a week or so ago, they hid a lot the first days in, now they are getting more bold again, out and about. Tonight, my largest female is sitting in the center of the largest brom! She is too big for sure, but she doesn't know it! She is definitely the queen of the viv!!!

001.JPG

002.JPG

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:40 am

Looks great Diane! Interesting that they are all clustered around the brom. I like how, when given the chance, tincs climb...even though it can look awkward haha. The cork scaffolding really helps show that off. Nice job. Glad they are doing well.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks Jim!
The Azureus truly do love to climb-although sometimes they look like whales in trees! All 4 of them are almost always up in the cork bark scaffolding, even though the ground has several plants and tons of leaf litter. And they all 4 roost in the cork bark too--lots of nooks and crannies in the back, where the pieces of cork meet. I really am enjoying building with the pieces of cork bark.

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Last summer my cobalts finally started breeding, and I got eggs in August. I live in northern Illinois, and in winter keep the house at 68 degrees. Cooler temps really do influence morphing time, my tads didn't morph out til January/February! I raised them communally in small 5 gallon tanks, with gravel at one end and about 3 inches of water, with a few strands of sphagnum and pieces of Indian almond leaf. I now have approx. 10 froglets in a grow out. They "nest" together under the cocohut, this is the view I get when I turn over the cocohut! (Cocohut at the top, with 2 froglets on the underside of cocohut)
Attachments
100_2184.JPG

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:36 am

Great thread Dianne...thanks for adding to it!

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”