Diane's frogs and vivs

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
BcsTx

Re: Diane's frogs and vivs

Postby BcsTx » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:32 pm

My male BYH with a tad on his back.

My female:
She is a toot about side shots, always likes to look me in the eye to speak.
Just wanted you to see the sharp ridge back of my female vs the round one of my male .
-Beth

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:35 pm

The difference in their backs really is remarkable. Thanks for the response, and the beautiful pix!
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

BcsTx

Postby BcsTx » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:29 pm

Pics are bad Diane, thanks for the compliment.
I have found that backs vs toe pads are a better way to sex tincs.
-Beth

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:57 pm

Hey Diane! I think Beth got you what you need. My guesses would be (honest I looked at the pics before reading Beth's posts):

A looks like a female based on third pic
B looks like a male
C maybe female? basing this on the first pic alone so not sure
D seems heavy with a decent back arch, I'd guess female.

Man B and D are very similar in their patterns aren't they? I cropped the pics again 'cause I can't resist ;) Just wanted to show you what I was looking at:
A.png
A - looks female to me
A.png (371.23 KiB) Viewed 922 times

B.png
B - looks male to me
B.png (427.28 KiB) Viewed 922 times

C.png
C - looks female - arch
C.png (345.6 KiB) Viewed 922 times

D.png
D - looks female - arch, deep body
D.png (516.78 KiB) Viewed 922 times

I totally defer to others with way more experience.

I tried to get video of my male calling the other night for you but he kept calling from the shadows. I made the mistake of opening the viv door to get a closer shot, and the fan in the room blew around some stray hydei … and it was on like Donkey Kong … both frogs came hopping out to annihilate those remaining hydei - it's almost not fair at times. Good luck! They look like they are in great shape!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

BcsTx

Postby BcsTx » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:31 am

joneill809 wrote:Hey Diane! I think Beth got you what you need. My guesses would be (honest I looked at the pics before reading Beth's posts):

A looks like a female based on third pic
B looks like a male
C maybe female? basing this on the first pic alone so not sure
D seems heavy with a decent back arch, I'd guess female.

Man B and D are very similar in their patterns aren't they? I cropped the pics again 'cause I can't resist ;) Just wanted to show you what I was looking at:
A.png

B.png

C.png

D.png

I totally defer to others with way more experience.

I tried to get video of my male calling the other night for you but he kept calling from the shadows. I made the mistake of opening the viv door to get a closer shot, and the fan in the room blew around some stray hydei … and it was on like Donkey Kong … both frogs came hopping out to annihilate those remaining hydei - it's almost not fair at times. Good luck! They look like they are in great shape!
-Beth

BcsTx

Diane's frogs and vivs

Postby BcsTx » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:34 am

My pair were courting today, will try to get a movie of them to post in the near future.
They are quite "active." from my observations the female will initiate breeding.
-Beth

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:06 am

Beth, I would love to see a movie of them courting. I am so happy that B is a probable male! I was afraid I had 4 females, although I kept thinking (hoping) that the one looks a bit different in shape and size, I was hoping I had at least 1 male!

I am still waiting for Glenn to weigh in on gender identification. Glenn, you keep many different ratios, but I noticed usually only 1 or 2 females. If I indeed have 3 females and 1 male, and no signs of dangerous aggression, do you think I can leave the 4 together and just continue to watch for any trouble?! They have grown up together, so I'd rather not split them up, unless there is a valid reason to do so.

Jim, Thanks for trying to catch the calling on video for me! I would love to hear it. I also am amazed by the variation in patterns of the azureus. Yes, B and D do have similar patterns, but did you notice the coloration on the sides of A and B? They both have very light blue sides. B has very few spots on his sides, A has more spots on her sides. That is how I differentiate those 2 frogs, actually, in addition to the merged spots on their snouts/heads.

Thanks again Beth and Jim for looking at my frogs and giving your opinions!
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:34 am

Well, Thursday I finally switched out my leuc males. The "old" leuc male must've felt vibes in the air, cause he was nowhere to be found all day--it's like he knew what I was planning! Here he is, after the switch, calling and searching for his sweetheart! :(

055.JPG
058.JPG

Well, the vibes with the female and her "new" boy were very different! :mrgreen:

072.JPG
070.JPG
079.JPG

So for the past 2 days, the "old" male has been calling and searching his new 10 gallon viv for his lost love............and in the 33 gallon, the female and her "new" boy have been calling, courting, stroking, etc, repeatedly.............and then tonight, what did I find?

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 am

The site says my file is too big, I can't post :shock:

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:40 am

Hi Dianne,

I agree with Beth & Jim. 1.3 with B being a male. Been fooled before though! We were split our Matecho up into pairs recently and it looks like we had the sexes of one pair a$$ backwards. The male was stroking the female! :? I guess we wait for calling and eggs! lol

I would leave them together if that's what you would like, unless you see some serious aggression. The odd tussle won't hurt them at all. By serious, I mean one frog not coming out to eat and losing weight. I've yet to have it happen, but one never knows. Looks like they're well fed, so that won't be an issue! :)

Cheers,
Glenn

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:13 am

DianeCarter wrote:The site says my file is too big, I can't post :shock:

Now that was a cliff hanger :lol:

There is a max file size on DD uploads of two MB (maybe less - a few of my recent 1.5 MB photos have made it through though). You can try reducing the file size or cropping or using Beth's photobucket recommendation as another option. So I guess congratulations are in order? You have a clutch?

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:24 am

Glenn, Thanks for weighing in! I will just leave all 4 together and watch for aggression. Yes, they are well fed :D They are so aggressive with feeding, I just enjoy watching them hunt.
Jim, Re: my leucs, YES, I HAVE A CLUTCH!!! I tried uploading the photo again just now, above the subject line, in large red letters, it says "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 1 MiB." Now obviously I don't know much about computers, etc, but can 1 photo really be that large? I have put multiple photos on above, and never ran into trouble. The photo of the clutch is the same camera I always use, nothing different. :?:
Thaks again for everybody's help with my azureus sexing!!!
Diane

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:03 pm

My leuc clutch! I realize the first few can be bad, but still exciting!
Diane

044.JPG

DianeCarter

My Bombina Viv

Postby DianeCarter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Of course I realize these aren't PDFs, but I got them a year and a half ago, to "practice" with, so to speak, before purchasing my first PDFs. If I screwed something up, I wanted it to be with $8 frogs, not $50+ frogs. Anyway, they have done well, but I felt they were crowded in their 20 gallon tank. So about a month ago, I built a 75 gallon for them. Here is a FTS. If you look closely, you can see one on the far left in the water, and another on the ledge of rock, climbing out of water on to land.
005.JPG

Then 2 nights ago, when going downstairs to turn off their lights, I found tads! They look absolutely giant compared to dart tads! It's hard to find them, between the different color large gravel in the bottom, and all the sphag in the water, but I have found 7 so far.
I guess they weren't all 5 males after all :D
007_crop.jpg
Can you see the extra tad? (#3)
004_crop.jpg
I took this pix for tad on right, later saw an extra!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:09 am

DianeCarter wrote:Jim, Re: my leucs, YES, I HAVE A CLUTCH!!! I tried uploading the photo again just now, above the subject line, in large red letters, it says "The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 1 MiB." Now obviously I don't know much about computers, etc, but can 1 photo really be that large? I have put multiple photos on above, and never ran into trouble. The photo of the clutch is the same camera I always use, nothing different. :?:
Diane

Sorry I did not respond sooner (busy day around here!) but it looks like you got the photo uploaded!

DianeCarter wrote:My leuc clutch! I realize the first few can be bad, but still exciting!
Diane

Very exciting! It's hard to tell from the pic, but do you just have jelly in there, or are there eggs as well? I think leuc eggs are dark so they would be a dark sphere within the clear jelly sphere (sorry, I don't know all the technical names). Maybe someone with Leucs can chime in!

Tads - what a great accidental find eh? Congratulations and good luck with them!

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:51 pm

Jim, I'm pretty sure the eggs are bad:( Yes, there is jelly, yes there is eggs, and yes there is a black dot in each egg, but the black dots are too small, they must be bad. They are tiny black dots, too small for viable eggs, from what I've learned here. It's OK, though, the first few clutches are expected to be bad, from what I've read here! At least the show is on the road, so to speak, and hopefully I will have good clutches soon. This female is supposed to be proven, so hopefully after a few bad clutches, they will be good. I am hoping, anyway! I've had her for over a year, so I would think it would be kind of a "start over" type deal.
I am excited about the bombino tads, they are too big for the adults to eat now I think, so hopefully they will survive! And, a week ago my auratus laid their first clutch. It went bad (moulded) within 3 days, but this was their first clutch, so I am hopeful about them, as well!
And also, now that you all have helped me sex my azureus, and I have at least 1 male, I have hope with them, as well.
Now that everybody is taken care of, I am going to (try) to back off for a week or so. Mist, feed, ignore. Let nature take it's course.
Oh, my imitators are going nuts, so this usually means they either have new tads, or more eggs. The existing tad that I know of should pop his front legs within the next 2 weeks or so. That will be my third baby imitator! I may have to figure out how to sell them soon, cause the first is about a year old, the second about 3 months now. (There was a tad between them that died very early:()Wow! They are so beautiful, I don't know if I can part with them! And I can't believe how quickly they have grown! The first is definitely full grown, the other is close to full grown. No calling yet.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:06 am

You are on your way to raising an army of frogs! If you keep having trouble with mold you can try treating with methylene blue. That really helped with controlling mold issues for me. Very exciting - so much activity in your collection!

Stan N

Postby Stan N » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks, Jim,
Yes, an army of frogs! I am stoked!
I remembered your methylene blue, and plan on buying some this week. Do you spray it on every day?
My older son, Sean, stopped by today. He is as much an animal geek as I am (I am proud to say!). I showed him my red bellied toad tads, and his young eyes picked them out so quickly! I think I have more tads than I thought! Yeah!
Diane

BcsTx

Diane's frogs and vivs

Postby BcsTx » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:23 am

We all have 100 different ways to raise tads, I have some methathene blue I will give you ( no offense Jim) the tads will work themselves out, strong ones will survive. This is why I like Glenn's technique of leaving them in the viv and raise themselves, maybe less froglets but the difference in the ones raised in tad cups/glass jars is amazing. At least twice the size IME half the effort, also if you want to pull them read up on GhostVivs communal posts.
-Beth

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:04 am

No worries Beth! I don't sell MB :)

Diane - I'm not sure if you meant you were going to generically pick some up but it's really cheap and there's enough in one bottle to last forever. I bought a bottle from Amazon. Here's one for $6 shipped if you have Amazon Prime:

Kordon/Oasis (Novalek) Methylene for Aquarium, 4-Ounce, Blue
http://amzn.com/B00025646W

You can also try picking some up at a local fish store. The big box shops in my area do not carry it I would have to go to one of the local specialty stores. As far as dosing I agree with Beth - everyone has their own methods and I suspect you'll experiment and find what is best for you. When I leave the eggs in viv I have about a 20% to 50% tadpole development rate (it was on the lower end last year but has been increasing this year). If I pull and treat with MB the rate goes up to 90%. I'll post more details there so we don't derail your thread with any in depth MB discussions.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6581

I'm glad you have found a tadpole spotter :lol: Can't wait to see pics of your first froglets. It's so much fun to see others reactions to these critters isn't it? Though most people think I'm crazy for putting as much time as I do into these frogs they sure enjoy looking at them when they stop by. And man are they interested in tadpole development! My son definitely gets top awards for the most exuberant reaction to frog spotting in our house "... Oh ... I see one! ... Come look!" He gives the frog tours.

It is amazing how well tads can blend in. I was cleaning and pruning the azureus viv this weekend and I gently pulled a dead dislodge brom leaf out and I found a clutch with three surviving tads in there! They were hard to see! But I did get a good laugh that my pair worked so hard to get a clutch in that brom they snapped a leaf off! Beautiful frogs but graceful? Not tincs :). Good luck with the leucs and keep us posted!

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”