Diane's frogs and vivs

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
BcsTx

Re: Diane's frogs and vivs

Postby BcsTx » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:31 am

I found eggs from my BYH on a philodenrom leaf once, nothing below it. Not quite sure how they managed that without wings...
-Beth

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:50 am

BcsTx wrote:We all have 100 different ways to raise tads, I have some methathene blue I will give you ( no offense Jim) the tads will work themselves out, strong ones will survive. This is why I like Glenn's technique of leaving them in the viv and raise themselves, maybe less froglets but the difference in the ones raised in tad cups/glass jars is amazing. At least twice the size IME half the effort, also if you want to pull them read up on GhostVivs communal posts.

I do pull eggs for a short time, before letting them go back to being raised in viv. But, how many eggs/tads/froglets does one want or need?

Caspers thread is top notch!
Glenn

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:57 pm

This was my first imitator baby, we saw the dad transport 7/18/12, and he came oow 9/19/12. Definitely full grown, haven't heard calling.
002.JPG

Our 2nd imitator baby died shortly after metamorphing :cry:

This is our 3rd imitator baby, we saw transport 1/13/13, and oow 4/15/13. Not oow long, but looks almost as big as the adults! Strange it took so long to metamorph--3 months! All the others have been much quicker :?: Was it slower to morph because it was winter, and a bit colder in the house?
013.JPG

This is our next to morph out, any day now, front legs are both popped! Transport was 5/19/13.
004_crop.jpg

I have another tad in a can, didn't see him transported, so don't have a date on him :(

Diane
Attachments
008.JPG
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

BcsTx

Postby BcsTx » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 am

Great job Diane!
Pretty soon you will need to build more vivs or have an imi sale. :)
Congrats on the babies.
IME lower temps do slow down tads from morphing.
-Beth

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks Beth!
I do LOVE building vivs, I could build a viv a week and be happy :)
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

BcsTx

Postby BcsTx » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:26 pm

You're welcome.
Last I heard Brad (IDPM) is looking for volunteers. :)
-Beth

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:02 pm

Beth, Jim, Glenn,
I am so sad to tell you, the tad that was about to morph.....popped front legs, looked gorgeous.....is dead! I am so bummed, don't know what I need to do, if anything. He was looking good Wednesday night after I got home from work (midnight or so), yesterday I looked, and he was floating. At an unnatural angle. Dead. There is no possible reason that I can think of. No chemicals, bad water, nothing! This is simply horrible. I had told you that I have 1 new tad in a can, which is great, and at the same time I found the dead tad, I also found a 2nd tad in a can. That is great. But I am still soooo sad that the tad is gone. He was beautiful, and fully formed, and looked perfect :(
Don't know what I have done wrong :(
Diane

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:04 am

Sorry to hear that Diane. So sad :(. Maybe others will have advice - I can only offer support. It seems like this may be one of those "it happens occasionally" events. I've only lost freshly hatched tads so far so I can imagine how surprising and disappointing it would be to get a tad that far and lose it. Good luck with the younger tads. I am sure they will be fine under your dedicated care!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

BcsTx

Postby BcsTx » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:04 am

Hi Diane!
So sorry to hear about your tad, I have had a few pass away while in that stage before,the rest if them morphed out fine. Sounds like that is the case for you. The tad probably "wasn't right."
-Beth

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:05 pm

Thanks for your support, guys, I appreciate it! Hopefully just an isolated incident.

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:00 pm

My last week or two since my last post here have been fabulous, frog-wise! Thank God, I was really upset when I found that gorgeous imi dead:( 6 days ago, while examining my auratus viv, I found a can with eggs in it. I got them out, and found 4 eggs, 1 dead (moldy), but 3 very well developed, spinning tads! So very cool! Put them in a petri dish, hoping for the best.
.3 008.JPG

Then 3 days ago, while looking in the auratus viv, found a TAD in a can! He was in practically no water, so I took him out and put him in a container.......so far, looks good!

Then 2 days ago decided to check out my imi viv. A week or two ago when that tad died at the last minute, right before morphing out, I had seen that there were 2 tads, 1 in each of 2 cans. Well I decided to check them out. Shined my light in the first can, I see a fully colored tad, look again, it's got it's front legs already! A fully morphed imi froglet! So excited! Put the can in the grow out, with it's 2 older siblings.

Then yesterday, while checking out the imi vivs, I was looking at the newly morphed froglet, still in it's can, that I had just switched to the grow out 2 days ago. I realized in the bottom of the can, is a young tadpole! It is in with the froglet! Wow!

Then today, while checking out the auratus viv, decided to lift the cocohut and see if there is anything in the petri dish. 2 tads/froglets! Can't tell, I think they are right in between morphing out. They are definitely in jelly, but I don't see the distinct eggs, it's as if they are together in one. They are large, look about the size of the new tad I found the other day?! I don't have much experience with this, but it makes me think the eggs are in the middle of disintegrating, and will be gone very soon.
003_crop.jpg

So all in all, I now have 6 auratus babies ( 1 tad and 5 eggs, close to hatching), 1 new imitator froglet, 2 imi tads in cans, and several imi eggs in a can.

SO very rewarding!

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:10 pm

yep, it never gets old. Eggs and tads - very exciting to find !

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Congratulations Diane! Very exciting!

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:39 pm

004.JPG

Well I finally have very good news to report with my Azureus! Back in June, Glenn, Beth, and Jim all helped me try to sex my 4 azureus. The general consensus was that azureus B is male, and A, C, and D are females.
I am happy to report that B is indeed a male! And A and C are females! D stays to herself, and isn't involved at the moment. Maybe a late bloomer?
Anyway, Wednesday I noticed that A, B, and C were all 3 in the cocohut, and when they came out the 2 females followed the male all over the viv, both of them stroking him. Yesterday this continued, and I finally heard B calling! So cool! This morning I checked the petri dish under the cocohut, and sure enough, 5 eggs! 2 are moldy, and 3 are OK looking. I realize for their first clutch they will probably all go bad, but that's OK. I am just glad to confirm that I have 1 male. And I'm glad I left all 4 together, I can see Glenn's point that the dynamics are so interesting to have more than just a pair, so long as they are getting along well. And I've never had a trio before, I imagine the other female could also lay some eggs soon, it will be interesting to see what happens with that.
Thanks again everyone!
Diane

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:02 pm

001.JPG

If you recall, I had found 6 auratus tads, well here is the first to come OOW! He is totally OOW, I now have 3 more in their tipped water containers, ready to come out into the grow-out viv! And the other 2 are almost ready, their front legs are ready to pop any day now. To top that off, 4 days ago I found a single small tad in a water container in the auratus tank, and it has about doubled in size already.
I am used to imitators morphing, so these auratus seem HUGE when they morph! Very cool!
Diane

Brian317

Postby Brian317 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:48 pm

congrats on the froglet! It is always a good feeling once they come ootw!
-Brian
Fine Spot Leucs, Bakhuis, Variabilis, Varadero, Fantastica, Green Sirensis

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Thanks Brian, it really is a good feeling!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:44 am

DianeCarter wrote:Well I finally have very good news to report with my Azureus! Back in June, Glenn, Beth, and Jim all helped me try to sex my 4 azureus. The general consensus was that azureus B is male, and A, C, and D are females.
I am happy to report that B is indeed a male! And A and C are females! D stays to herself, and isn't involved at the moment. Maybe a late bloomer?
Anyway, Wednesday I noticed that A, B, and C were all 3 in the cocohut, and when they came out the 2 females followed the male all over the viv, both of them stroking him. Yesterday this continued, and I finally heard B calling! So cool! This morning I checked the petri dish under the cocohut, and sure enough, 5 eggs! 2 are moldy, and 3 are OK looking. I realize for their first clutch they will probably all go bad, but that's OK. I am just glad to confirm that I have 1 male. And I'm glad I left all 4 together, I can see Glenn's point that the dynamics are so interesting to have more than just a pair, so long as they are getting along well. And I've never had a trio before, I imagine the other female could also lay some eggs soon, it will be interesting to see what happens with that.
Thanks again everyone!
Diane

Sorry that I missed this post earlier! Glad to hear everything is working out! Isn't the tinc call weird? I checked for a malfunctioning fan in the viv hoods before I figured out what it was. I'm interested in hearing more on your group observations.

My pair's first few clutches were bad but subsequent clutches had a poor survival rate. The two things that helped me with moldy eggs were adding Repashy Vit A to my rotation and treating the eggs I pulled with methelyne blue. Once I made those changes I saw 90%+ good eggs. Without those two I saw 20% to 40%. I stopped pulling eggs this summer. Interestingly I also cut back on the vit A from once a week to once a month and the eggs I did pull last week are molding over again. This may be worth a more formal look - maybe I got a bad batch of vit A or maybe the once a month frequency is insufficient. Let us know how yours turn out! It will be good to compare.

Thanks for the post and good luck with all your tads and froglets!

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:46 pm

My new build, for my azureus 1.3, not my imitators, 1.1.8, as originally planned.
011.JPG
010.JPG

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Darn it! I have a helluva time posting pix here, and I managed to put them in backwards!
Anyway, this is a continuation of my new build for my azureus. Today I received my shipment from NEHerps: substrates, plants, and new bugs. So I've got my new viv just about where I want it! Will let the plants and bugs acclimate/grow before I move the azureus.
Another Thank You to Jim in Austin, cause I really copied a lot from you! I love the way this viv looks!
009.JPG
008.JPG
007.JPG
006.JPG
005.JPG
003.JPG
001.JPG

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”