JayMillz Vivariums - Pics

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
JayMillz

Re: JayMillz Vivs

Postby JayMillz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks Zach. We ended up losing 1 of them but the other 3 seem to be great frogs. Hopefully we make the trip again next year and can meet up again.
Josh

goods

Postby goods » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:35 pm

No problem, Josh. Sorry to hear that you lost one. Let me know how they sex out, and I'll work on getting you a pair (if I ever produce a girl). You're more than welcome to stop by next year if you come. I have no idea where I'll be, but maybe I'll have a real frog room by then haha.
ZG

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:30 pm

I got the first of the 55 gallon tanks seeded/started today finally. This one is for the trio of orange terribs. I figure the purple/darker colors will make their orange pop out more. It's going to be a few more weeks until treatments are done anyways so I have some time to play around. There's a tiny little tree cave on the left and the wood on the right has a perfect hole on the top to stick an epiphytic in. I put the apache tear drops and crystals back in too. I know, I know, you guys are absolutely dieing to see even more updated pics than these that I'm posting now. But I refuse to until at least 2 of you (but I would prefer 4 or even more) tell me that I need to ad some leaf litter in here :wink:

Josh

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Josh, Very nice looking viv. You need to add some leaf litter! Please send more pix!
Diane
PS: I am jealous. Orange terribs are my #1 wanted frog! Some day!
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks Diane. I've had a male calling quietly for a couple of months now and I know they will all enjoy this viv when it's finished. I'm kind of pissed though because those 2 broms were a lot darker in color but this project has been slow and they were sitting outside, soaking up the sun for over a month and they started to turn green on me haha. I'm more than sure we will be able to work something out when I got some froglets hopping around (several months from now so don't hold your breath waiting lol). I still have 5 completely empty and gutted tanks in the house that will be rebuilt in my spare time and I'm really excited to make the ideas in my head a reality. I've collected up a couple of really nice looking broms/plants and pieces of wood that I can't wait to use. Heck, I might even get a rack to display some stuff on when I get some school $ in this fall.
Josh

DianeCarter

Postby DianeCarter » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm sorry your frogs had infections, the reason for you having 5 empty vivs, but I LOVE building vivs, that is definitely fun! I know your terribs will love that viv, it will be gorgeous once it's grown in a bit! How much longer is your quarantine?

You already have imitators, but not Cainarachi Valley, right? And you don't have any auratus do you? I'm just thinking ahead to when your terribs have froglets, to what I might have to trade!

I got a shipment from UPS today which included 2 really nice pieces of wood, wishing I had a big tank right now to build:)

Keep the pix coming!
Diane
Pumilio bastimentos, R. benedictas, P. Terribilis orange, R. Imitator Cainarachi Valley, D. Leucomelas, D. Auratus, D. Azureus, P. vittatus, D. cobalts, D.Oyapok, Bombina Orientalis

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:37 pm

You're right, I have tarapotos. My step-son would LOVE some auratus! They're his favorite. The hookworm in my vivs wasn't anything too terrible or drastic (except for maybe with the leucs). Everyone else seemed to be putting on weight and growing nicely, the tarapotos had a mild case as well and they have been really successful for me. I gotten 4 froglets out of them and have 3 tads in the water right now. Building them is a lot of fun for sure. I just gave them their 4th panacur treatment (once weekly while changing their tubs every other day). I'm doing my internship at a wildlife rehabilitation center and I asked the vet if they'd do some fecals for me for a case of beer and she said sure =) So, I'll probably give it another week or 2 and then bring some samples in. I'll have her run the gauntlet on them all and hopefully they will all come back flawless and I can go on to raising nothing but healthy little ones from here on out. I drove about a hour one way today to a mom and pops shop I like to get some glass cut for a vert I'm working on but the guy was in detox so I just placed the order and have to go back tomorrow lol. My wife and I stopped at 3 spots along the river on the way home to go hunting for more wood but didn't find anything too eye popping today. I'm sure you could get lucky in finding a big tank for dirt cheap/free. I found the tank posted above on the side of the road, received another 55 for free from a badass member on here, and my wife got our 72 gallon bowfront for free from a coworker, THEN a friend from back home on facebook saw I was building these tanks and gave me 2 more 30+ gallons for free to work with. If you poke around, after enough time I bet you can get yourself a big tank to play around with, craigslist is always a good spot to start picking.
Josh

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Next viv is nearing up on completion. This one is for my imitators. Once again, my wifes eagle eyes spotted this nice stump. I cut the bottom off to level it out and then used the bottom piece as a ledge up high. I wish I could've kept the 4 broms as 1 piece like I bought them but there wasn't enough room so I busted one off and placed it up a little higher than the rest.

Josh

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm almost done rebuilding a 55 gallon for my stepson and his new frogs. I have some minor work to do on the top of it, and let it grow in a bit. These were the best shots I could get for now until some muscle shows up at my house to help me move a couple of things around. I kind of have a frog room going now but it's such a mess that it's not worth showing. Anyways here's the viv, it's kind of a knock off of another one I saw someone else make. I thought the bright green moss on the flat curved piece of wood would make an excellent catwalk for the frogs to model for pictures. It leads into a little cave as well and provides extra cover below. I still need to bake some more leaves to add some litter to the floor but the frogs are still in QT for a little bit longer and I get them tested. I'm putting in 4 Bocas that I picked up from Wendy during her recent collection sale.

and here's a shot of 1 of the future inhabitants.

Josh

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Nice viv. Can't wait for see it grown in! Is that a carved foam background? And what is that wide leaf plant in the foreground?
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks Jim. I think they're going to do good in there. I layered the 3 sides with GS and then a 2nd layer where I wanted the rocks to be and then started carving away...for several hours. Then smoothed out the "rocks" and put 4-5 coats of drylok on them. Tip: When you make GS rocks, get the surfaces as smooth as possible at the start because the drylok will leave the air holes showing and not look as natural, so extra coats will need to be applied to cover up the holes. I am thinking about making the leftover drylok a lighter hue and hitting them up with a sponge but for now it looks good enough to me. I've really been on a begonia frenzy lately and did some searching on Ebay and found a few that I liked. From left to right is Bipennatifida, Phoe's Cleo, and Hugh McLaughlin. I don't know what the bromeliad is, it was just a nice looking one with 4 pups that I found at the "Worlds largest bromeliad and cactus plantation" while on vacation in Mississippi this summer. I sprinkled some baby tears around the bottom and have a couple of (unknown to me) viney plants to climb up each side over time. I have black film canisters hidden around out of view, I'm not sure if Auratus get to big to utilize them for transporting or not but we'll see I suppose.
Josh

goods

Re: JayMillz Vivariums - Pics

Postby goods » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Josh, when you mist, try to avoid hitting that Beg. bipenn... with direct spray until it settles in and really gets rooted. I've gotten three cuttings plus a nearly fully established rooted plant, and I'm down to a small ~1" shoot that came up from a leaf fragment. It has a tendency to really melt if it's unhappy.
ZG

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks Zach. I wouldn't be happy if it didn't make it. I planned on keeping this viv a little more on the dryer side. I made the false bottom lower than I normally would for a little extra space and I don't want to siphon it out all the time. I was thinking all of that moss in there could hold a lot of the moisture and just keep it nice and humid in there. Do you think the lighting is ok for it?

*Edit* In my 55 for the terribs I have a few begonias too. I rarely mist that tank with any kind of sprayer. I piped a humidifier into it and just let it fog up every day or 2 for anywhere from 5-15 minutes and all of those have really taken off. I need to trim some of them up already actually.
Josh

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:51 am

Oh by the way Zach, this was supposed to be the viv for those Azureiventris =( I'm sure we will be coming back down south again to visit my wife's family in the summer. As of now, odds are I will have some extra Tarapotos to bring you if you have room for another species. We never did try getting those cypress seeds growing either, I think I lost them. I wonder if they would still be good if I found them. I'll send you a message later of what I've bought in plants lately (about 30ish different clippings in a package from Rizzo plus stuff off of Ebay), maybe we can do a little trading action.
Josh

goods

Postby goods » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Josh,

That Begonia likes it quite wet but just not wet on the leaves. It should dry off quickly but can take high moisture. In my experience, lighting isn't all that important for Begonias. I have most of my species in low and highish light, and they usually do fine in both instances. Growth may change depending on the conditions, but they do fine either way for me.

I no longer have the azureiventris adults but do still have a large number of froglets. Let me know when you come back through. At this point, I'm not sure where I'll actually be (likely chasing a job), but you're welcome to come check things out wherever that may be. I should have froglets of a number of species by then, so I might have a bit of variety for you to pick through (very excited that my bassleri started calling Tuesday and benedicta are beginning to lay :)!) Shoot me a message when you get a chance on the plants. I'm always looking to add a few more. You really need to get those glass frogs going haha!
ZG

JayMillz

Postby JayMillz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:44 pm

I know the photo quality isn't the best. But the very first froglets I ever got, the orange terribs, almost a year and a half ago, laid their first clutch yesterday! Oh, they grow up so fast...

Josh

IEatBugs

Postby IEatBugs » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Hey Josh that's awesome news! Here's to hoping they are viable eggs and they grow up big and strong lol!
Dustin Y.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Congratulations! An exciting event seeing that first clutch from a group!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Brian317

Postby Brian317 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Awesome! Congrats on the clutch!
-Brian
Fine Spot Leucs, Bakhuis, Variabilis, Varadero, Fantastica, Green Sirensis

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 pm