Jim from Austin's frog wall

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
joneill809
Site Admin

Re: Jim from Austin's frog wall

Postby joneill809 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:40 pm

The benefit of lots and lots of rain is it kickstarts the red galacs:
image.jpeg
Red galac clutch

Lorenzo too! First clutch of 2016 was 3 for 3.
image.jpeg
Lorenzo clutch

One of the red galac females disappearing into the shadows:
image.jpeg
Big red

They have been fairly active in breeding after taking about 10 months off. Three large clutches in three weeks - each following a nice set of storms. They really like subdued lighting and have done well once my canopy of pilea and upside down fern grew in. It does make them hard to spot but they are out quite a bit more.

Nominal posing:
image.jpeg
Fant

And a crummy pic of an old male Lorenzo hanging with his new girl near an air nozzle:
image.jpeg
Lorenzo nozzle

It's drier in the viv than this image lets on. I still am tuning air flow with my pumps. Better pic of another new grouping - this is part of a 1.2 that so far is doing well.
image.jpeg
Lorenzo

Last pic is through the glass. I always get a kick out of the little yellow noses peering back at you. It's about all you can see most days. I am keeping them dry to discourage breeding. I'll try spinning them up either in the fall or next year (18-24 months for the females).

And some Davallia parvula shots - plants originally from Zach / goods. Mine throw a lot of rhizomes but it has nearly covered this 20" tall round on one side. It's a cool little fern (and Zach is actively selling some now):
image.jpeg

I do get some fronds but not too many:
image.jpeg

It's kind of going nuts up against the lights:
image.jpeg
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:52 pm

Trying something new with my group tadpole rearing tanks. I added some sponge filters to my tadpole grow outs and split my airlines that drive the air circulation in my vivs. I picked up these cheap filters off Amazon straight from China - I pulled an elbow out to lower their profile:
IMG_9358.JPG
IMG_9358.JPG (217.02 KiB) Viewed 3841 times

Here's one installed:
IMG_9357.JPG
IMG_9357.JPG (232.18 KiB) Viewed 3841 times

Here's a shot of all the grow outs:
IMG_9379.JPG

And my crazy tubing:
IMG_9381.JPG
IMG_9381.JPG (174.7 KiB) Viewed 3841 times

These were relatively inexpensive pumps that put out the best airflow rates for the money. I added the third to provide enough airflow to drive the 8 sponge filters without a significant impact to the airflow in the 6 vivs. Anyhow I'll see how this goes over time.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Been experimenting with film can locations and orientations for the fants and highlands. Noticed this fant on a can today:
FullSizeRender-10.jpg

Upon closer inspection...eggs! But it was not the deposition area I was expecting:
FullSizeRender-11.jpg

FullSizeRender-12.jpg

I have some smaller petri dishes that I may try out with them. At least the cans laying on the ground have coaxed them out from their inaccessible deposition area behind a large piece of cork bark. So far I have been relying on them transporting.

There's lots of calling from the highlands today (at least 2 males) and I've seen what looked like a male and female in a can together, but no eggs from them yet. I've similarly been laying film cans in areas where they frequent. I may try a small petri dish with them as well.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri May 13, 2016 4:47 pm

I am no thumb expert Jim, but my recommendation would be 4-6 film cans tilted and up high - very top o' the viv.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:02 pm

I've got a cluster of 7 (tilted) where they normally hang out, but no deposits in there. I added these laying on the ground in a variety of locations and they took to them. I'll keep experimenting - I'll move the cluster of 7 up higher. I think they were laying in the LL in the back of the viv where I cannot see.

This is an image from an older post - the foliage has grown up around the cluster since it was taken.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri May 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Wow, so they actually preferred laying on the ground ?? Shows how much I know about Fants. Heh

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah they liked the horizontal cans. Here's a layout of the 11 cans I have in the tank. The four circles on the left are where I placed cans horizontally. The circle on the right is the cluster of 7, tilted probably about 30 degrees. They went for the can labelled "eggs" in the middle left. Definitely interesting. I may replace that can with a dish and see what they do.
IMG_9392cans.JPG

They were previously depositing behind the cluster of cans on the right. That cork round is deceptive - it's a 6" to 8" round that is set forward and there is actually leaf litter around it. It's hard to tell there's LL in there because the spike moss has grown over the top of it. They may also be depositing in the round - it has two tiers in it with a lower cave and an upper cave. They like hanging out in there too. You can see one of the little buggers staring back at you in the lower left corner of the picture. They are bolder than I expected for a thumbnail. And they eat a heckuva lot less than a tinc.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Some progress in the highlands Viv - first egg but it looks like a dud. Kind of a pathetic photo, but I was still happy:
image.jpeg

They went for the horizontal cans too. I'm not sure how much supplementation they get - they seem to prefer hunting at dusk after the flies have been wandering for a while so the flies may be clean by then. I may have to do a supplemental feeding for them with vit A at dusk, off schedule from everyone else. I'll see how things go over the next few weeks.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri May 20, 2016 10:21 am

Columnea microphyllaSome new plants arrived yesterday for my 120 gallon display viv update. I'm shifting from Begonia foliosa to Columnea microphylla on the right side of the viv. Thanks to Zach for the recommendations he made over here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9763

I am not sure how many folks have made purchases from the Violet Barn, so I figured I'd document my unboxing.
IMG_9439.JPG
IMG_9439.JPG (82.76 KiB) Viewed 3788 times

IMG_9440.JPG
IMG_9440.JPG (131.54 KiB) Viewed 3788 times

IMG_9441.JPG
IMG_9441.JPG (81.36 KiB) Viewed 3788 times

IMG_9442.JPG
IMG_9442.JPG (32.57 KiB) Viewed 3788 times

IMG_9443.JPG
IMG_9443.JPG (57.16 KiB) Viewed 3788 times

IMG_9445.JPG
IMG_9445.JPG (82.12 KiB) Viewed 3788 times

I also picked up some Ficus pumila Quercifolia which is supposed to be a slower growing miniature ficus (correct me if my basic searching/research was wrong on that!). I'll be using that in a few other vivariums.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:24 am

Captured an interesting series of photos in the Bakhuis viv the other day. They are a 2.2 that have been housed together for over three years. They have been producing on their own for about two years, depositing and transporting within their viv; I pull about a froglet every month or two. The dominant female is much larger than the subordinate, so I'm not sure if that came into play, but they have gotten along fine without any signs of aggression or stress. The males initially wrestled when they started calling, but that stopped after a few encounters, and now you just hear the two different calls alternating in the viv periodically.

The other day after refreshing their leaf litter I noticed the four of them gathered in a corner of one of the upper ledges in their viv. I thought I had spooked them during the pruning / power washing / leaf litter refresh (apologies for the glare):
FullSizeRender-15.jpg
Females in the foreground - subordinate on left, dominant on the right. Two males in the background.

FullSizeRender-13.jpg
Subordinate female joins the males, dominant female remains in the foreground.

FullSizeRender-14.jpg

FullSizeRender-16.jpg
The next day one of the males is perched over a clutch of eggs.

Turns out they were depositing as a group. Interesting behavior. Not sure what is natural, or a manifestation of their close quarters in captivity, but this was the first time I have seen the 2.2 breeding as a group. I've experimented with different tinc groupings including this 2.2 Bakhuis, 1.3 Lorenzo, 3.1 Robertus, 1.2 NAIB True Sips, and 1.2 Lorenzo. The only group that I broke up because of observed stress was the 1.3 Lorenzo where 1 female was underweight. I removed her, and the 1.2 did well (both females alternately bred with the male). I currently have two 1.2 Lorenzo groups I'm experimenting with - they have only been setup for a few months, so I'm still trying to figure out if their individual behavioral traits mesh. I'm pretty confident on one of the groups, but there is a suspected female in the second group I am watching.

I use strategies like growing out female siblings together that form the future basis for a group. Add males to vivs the females are in, or rotate males rather than females. A "tinc friendly" viv design is very important, with tiered ledges, multiple shadowy retreats per animal, and visual barriers. If I see any wrestling as the animals mature I observe any changes to their other key behavior like eating, where the roost, posture and if they are keeping on their weight. I also had quite a few phone calls with Glenn on the subject, and gleaned much advice from his experiences housing groups of tincs. Too bad he's out of the hobby :(. I'm sharing this to illustrate that I am not grouping animals randomly, and that if you'd like to group tincs you should consider taking a similar approach in monitoring your animals to see how they do while preparing to shuffle animals around depending on what you see (I have empty vivs on standby should I need to move an animal, but I've only had to move 1 female out of all these groups so far). I'm not claiming to be an expert or that I know more than someone else about tincs, I'm just sharing an alternate housing approach that has worked for me. I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner, but grouping tincs can be quite rewarding if you are willing to invest the time.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:24 pm

A few pics. Two of the four adult nominal fants:
image.jpeg

A juvie in grow out:
image.jpeg

A proven pair of Lorenzo - as the canopy grew in and they matured they have been out a lot more:
image.jpeg

Not frogs, but these geckos are quickly becoming a house favorite. Here is the female who is out everyday.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The male hides most of the time. I have never gotten a good picture of him in the Viv. Usually it's one photo the he's gone.
image.jpeg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:25 pm

The sirensis / lamasi deposited their second "clutch", this time two eggs that molded over. I am not that concerned - I figure it will take a while for them to get going. I had left the remnants of the eggs in the Viv over the holiday weekend and found these Isopods diligently cleaning up tonight:
image.jpeg

They are tiny - just a few mm.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:23 am

Found the third highland sirensis clutch last night. They seem to like a specific film can placed horizontally on a corkbark shelf about halfway up their Viv. This clutch looks better than the first two attempts.
image.jpeg

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:35 pm

A lot of the large Obligate imports are laying eggs in Single Black Horizontal cans that are very close to the top reaches of the viv.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:16 pm

The clutch was still looking ok last night ... fingers crossed.
image.jpeg

So far both groups of thumbnails I am keeping prefer the horizontal cans. Here are a few shots zooming in on the location of the can the highlands are using:
image.jpeg
Full height picture of the left side of the Viv. Film can is about 2/3 of the way up, toward the front. There are cans in the back too, but they picked the one closer to the front.

image.jpeg
A bit closer to illustrate how dark and set back the can is.

image.jpeg
Close up of the can and an occupant.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:20 pm

New addition - 0.0.4 R summersi. I have been shifting from larger frogs to smaller frogs. Here are shots of the four animals:
image.jpeg
Animal 1

image.jpeg
Animal 1 belly

image.jpeg
Animal 2

image.jpeg
Animal 2 belly

image.jpeg
Animal 3

image.jpeg
Animal 3 belly

image.jpeg
Animal 4

image.jpeg
Animal 4 belly

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Two, maybe three, of the sirensis eggs look like they are developing. The eggs are tiny and hard to see in the film can. The blue tint is methylene blue that I treated them with in case that front egg starts to mold.
image.jpeg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:11 pm

Looks like 2 of the 4 eggs from the third highland sirensis clutch are developing. Here's a link to the video that contains some stills and video of the two embryos.

And stills from the video:
sirensis-highland-tadpole-20160612.01.png

sirensis-highland-tadpole-20160612.02.png

They also deposited their fourth clutch yesterday which looks promising.
sirensis-highland-clutch04-20160611.01.png

Seems like they are getting this down. I think there are four eggs in the fourth clutch, but it's hard to see the back of the clutch down in the film can. We will see eventually. So to recap - 0/1 for the first clutch, 0/2 for the second, looks like it may be 2/4 for the third, and ?/4 for the fourth. Everything seems to be progressing normally. This is a group of six sirensis, 0.0.3 from Zack / Josh @ joshsfrogs and 0.0.3 from Rich. These frogs have been together since last summer. There are at least two distinct calls from the viv, and maybe a third. All breeding so far has focused on the horizontal can location I posted above.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:18 pm

GREAT work posting this Jim! I'm mobile up North in Providence or else I'd post more.

Highly subscribed!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:39 pm

Thanks Phil! This has been interesting for me - these sirensis were my first thumbnails, so I'm happy to see them breeding. We'll see if this third clutch hatches out or not, but overall it's nice to see the development of their ability to deposit clutches over the course of these four attempts.

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”