Jim from Austin's frog wall

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
goods

Re: Jim from Austin's frog wall

Postby goods » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:20 am

I like the little guy crawling out of the water!
ZG

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:25 am

Their numbers are slowly building :) The parents like hiding their eggs in the back of the viv behind a cork round so I rely on them to transport. There are about three more tads in the front pool that have gotten to a nice size, so I'll need to move them to a morph out tank - otherwise I'll never catch them in their parents tank haha.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:06 pm

I am so excited about ... my Begonia bipinnatifida taking off in a few vivs. I like the contrast, especially with the highlands:
image.jpeg

Gope

Postby Gope » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:50 pm

Beautiful! The frog aint bad either.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks Jim! Yeah I like the frogs too :)

I finished up the hardscaping for the last set of micro vivs last night. Now I have to make doors and handle planting. Here's what I came up with for the cork work:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My goal with the first three was to maximize available floor space through the use of ledges and provide visual barriers. This bulk cork order came in with a lot of small rounds, so I decided to go with a forest look on one of the vivs.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Some thumbs. Diggin' the new cans:
image.jpeg

I'm trying to get some bipinnatifida to form a canopy above the cans. My first transplant is not doing so well. I have addition clippings that I may add. He doesn't seem to mind though.
image.jpeg

Some belly shots. These guys come out just after lights out and scour the glass for flies. Shots are lit with a flashlight in a dark room. It's interesting how active they are at night, as well as during the day.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Manzanitadude

Postby Manzanitadude » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:12 pm

Love the frog room progression and builds.

goods

Postby goods » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Jim, I'm setting up a greenhouse. I may need to hit you up for some of that Begonia bipennitifida to see if I can get it going in non-viv conditions :)
ZG

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:29 am

Manzanitadude wrote:Love the frog room progression and builds.

Thanks Jake! The vivs are always evolving. I'll have another update on the holdback vivs soon. I'm experimenting with a new air pump / timer system for introducing fresh air into them. I like active venting, but I don't have room for an exhaust system in this set. It should be an interesting set of experiments - no frogs in the vivs yet :)

goods wrote:Jim, I'm setting up a greenhouse. I may need to hit you up for some of that Begonia bipennitifida to see if I can get it going in non-viv conditions :)

Hah yeah I've had a heckuva time getting this stuff established. It would look great in a greenhouse - I've only seen pictures of it full size and it's impressive. I have yet to see it flower. Maybe freeing it to grow in a big space will get it going. I bet this would look great freed up in a greenhouse. This is my favorite web image:
It gets pretty leggy in viv and requires aggressive pruning to keep it looking nice. It drops a lot of leaves which either melt away or form new plants. I tend to knock the tips off and stick the clippings back in the substrate to get a thicker low canopy going.

The initial two plants I bought did horribly in shipping and died. I didn't keep them dry enough. All the plants I have now came from cuttings from the local exotics shop (it's pretty awesome to have an exotics shop this close that has stuff like bipennitifida around :) ) which didn't endure shipping. They have been finicky for me; too wet and they melt, too dry and they shrivel up. They like the humidity, but they do best if they dry off between mistings. They have really done well after I moved to active venting on my vivs - the increased airflow has helped. I've found they are a good bellwether plant - if they are not doing well in my vivs then I have my humidity and air circulation wrong.

I'll gladly ship you some cuttings - we can try some thick rooted portions. I'm sure you will lose all the foliage, but they do seem to bounce back quickly if you don't melt them :)

My main complaint now is the name is too hard to spell :) Here are some shots from around the vivs:

bipennitifida-truesips.JPG
This is the tank where I really got the bipennitifida going. All my cuttings originated here. It did really well up close to the lights on a higher shelf. It dropped leaves to the viv floor where they started new plants. I pulled those and transplanted. The cluster here at the back is a transplanted group.
bipennitifida-truesips.JPG (181.79 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

bipennitifida-highlands.JPG
This stuff got pretty leggy in the highland's tank, but they love climbing the long stalks and hunting flies. I recently pruned this back - in a month or so it will likely be up near the top of the viv again.
bipennitifida-highlands.JPG (157.87 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

bipennitifida-fants.JPG
Here's my second attempt at getting bipennitifida to create a canopy over the fant's cans. I took longer clippings this time and got their base an inch into the substrate. We will see....
bipennitifida-fants.JPG (204.62 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

bipennitifida-lorenzoC.JPG
I like this cluster of bipennitifida in one of my Lorenzo tanks. It does well on the viv floor here, and they seem to like the cover it provides - they have a feeling of security, but the foliage is fine enough to see the frogs.
bipennitifida-lorenzoC.JPG (184.31 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

bipennitifida-lorenzoCfts.JPG
This is a full tank shot of the same Lorenzo tank. I like how the upside-down fern looks next to the bipennitifida.
bipennitifida-lorenzoCfts.JPG (194.16 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

bipennitifida-lorenzoFfts.JPG
Here's an FTS of another Lorenzo tank. The bipennitifida took a while to get going. I started it on the right side in the rear of the tank and transplanted some clippings to the left.
bipennitifida-lorenzoFfts.JPG (182.52 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

bipennitifida-lorenzoFright.JPG
Here's the right side. You can see in this shot how some of the stalks drop their leaves, then sprout new ones. This often happens right after a transplant for me. In this case I gave the rear plant a pretty severe pruning. I have gotten more comfortable whacking this stuff back as it has taken hold. It seems like once you get it rooted in you can be pretty aggressive with it.
bipennitifida-lorenzoFright.JPG (169.98 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

bipennitifida-lorenzoFleft.JPG
Left side of the Lorenzo tank. This has been pruned back recently to keep it low. It had grown to the top of the tank.
bipennitifida-lorenzoFleft.JPG (165 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

parvula-201603.JPG
I included this to update how the parvula is doing :) It seems to like this log, though it's mostly rhizomes right now with few leaves. It seems to like being misted.
parvula-201603.JPG (179.07 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Hopping around a grow out viv:
image.jpeg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:44 am

I finally finished up the bookshelf vivs. All six are installed and plumbed with misting and drainage. I added an experimental feature - forced air ventilation. The vents I built were pretty small, and I don't seem to get a lot of passive air flow through them. I decided to try an air line system driven by a large aquarium air pump on a cycle timer. I can control the amount of air via the timer and a dial on the air pump itself that controls the air flow rate. I can max out at about 1 to 2 liters per minute per viv. Not a lot, but it does introduce some air movement.

The last thing I have to do is improve the air flow around the LED strip lighting. These lights add about 1 to 2 degrees to the viv. I am going to wire in some 50mm x 15mm PC blowers for improved cooling in the shelves. I'd like to try to get these vivs as close to ambient as I can. Anyhow here's the updated wall:
jims-wall-201603.1.jpeg
jims-wall-201603.1.jpeg (68.72 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

The bookshelf vivs:
jims-wall-201603.2.jpeg
jims-wall-201603.2.jpeg (120.43 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

jims-wall-201603.3.jpeg
jims-wall-201603.3.jpeg (136.71 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

jims-wall-201603.4.jpeg
jims-wall-201603.4.jpeg (112.5 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

Here are some close ups of the air line plumbing:
jims-wall-201603.5.jpeg
jims-wall-201603.5.jpeg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

jims-wall-201603.6.jpeg
jims-wall-201603.6.jpeg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

A few shots of the Lorenzos doing their thing:
jims-wall-2016-03-lorenzo.1.jpeg
jims-wall-2016-03-lorenzo.1.jpeg (128.22 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

jims-wall-2016-03-lorenzo.2.jpeg
jims-wall-2016-03-lorenzo.2.jpeg (129.57 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

jims-wall-2016-03-lorenzo.3.jpeg
jims-wall-2016-03-lorenzo.3.jpeg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

On the non-frog front, the granti are getting a bit more bold. The female is consistently out hunting in the bromeliad field - the Robertus don't venture in there (about 30 broms). She's pretty comfortable with me around:
nigropunctatus-granti-female.JPG
nigropunctatus-granti-female.JPG (91.44 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

The male had disappeared for over a month and I thought he might be dead, but then I figured out he was just a chicken and terrified of me. He has a great hiding spot that he uses when I walk in the room. He peeks out and waits for me to leave. See if you can spot him:
nigropunctatus-granti-male1.JPG
nigropunctatus-granti-male1.JPG (98.04 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Fantastic Jim! Very inspirational frog room.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Thanks Phil!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:19 am

Red galacs are starting up after a big line of thunderstorms blew through. Small clutch, only four eggs, but it's looking up. They actively bred last year in April / May then quit until now. Quirky frog....
IMG_9083.JPG
IMG_9083.JPG (112.73 KiB) Viewed 3042 times

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Well cycling up my proven Lorenzo pair went quicker than I thought. Closed the vents, increased feedings, offered a petri dish and within a few weeks...first clutch of the year. This is a fairly typical Lorenzo clutch - three eggs:
IMG_9135.JPG
IMG_9135.JPG (11.34 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

My bookshelf viv project is progressing. I have inhabitants in 3 of the 6 vivs. I am experimenting with my forced air injection setup. I have active airflow setups on all my larger vivs using blowhole fans in my hoods to draw air through my vivariums via front vents. These little vivs were too small to install a similar setup, and the least complex approach I could think of was air pumps. I initially cycled a single air pump on and off at 30 minute intervals. The pump is rated at 15 liters per minute, which is roughly 4 gallons per minute. I split this across the 6 vivs, so running at max airflow I can pump about 2/3 gallon of air per minute per viv. Running about 50% of the time during the day, that is about 20 gallons per hour, or about 2x the volume of the viv. That was not sufficient to clear the glass, so set the pumps to run all day while the lights were on. This was about 40 gallons per hour, or 4x the viv volume. Again this didn't clear the glass or dry plants between mistings, so I added a second pump. I have both pumps throttled to about 2/3 their max rate, or roughly 50 gph. This seems to do the trick.

I found it interesting that when I was running 50% on, 50% off, the frogs in all three tanks would sit near the injection nozzles when the airflow was on. One Lorenzo male has a funny approach, where he sits his hind end up against the screen in front of the nozzle.
IMG_9068.JPG
IMG_9068.JPG (87.61 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

So they seem to like the air movement, and I've struck a reasonable balance in temp/RH based on my visual comparison between these smaller vivs and my larger ones. My temp gun readings indicate about 75F. I've got to fire up a data logger for RH readings.

Here are some shots of the pumps and crazy tubing.
IMG_9137.JPG
The two pumps with the T's joining their outputs together. I bought a bulk bag of T's so I just used them for joining the pumps instead of a more expensive manifold.
IMG_9137.JPG (110.77 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

IMG_9138.JPG
A close up of the pump and the air flow control dial.
IMG_9138.JPG (113.65 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

IMG_9139.JPG
A close up of the T's I used for nozzles to inject air into my vivs.
IMG_9139.JPG (53.64 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

IMG_9140.JPG
A T valve with a shutoff that I can use to tune the airflow to each pair of vivs. So far I have left them open and controlled overall flow with the dials on the pumps.
IMG_9140.JPG (62.82 KiB) Viewed 2969 times

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:47 pm

Been working on some school projects with my kids. We had a scope setup checking out bugs so I put a red galac clutch under the scope and recorded a video. It was neat to see it breathing / blood flowing if you look really close at the full screen video. The frame rate is slow on this camera so the video is faster than it should be. I need to keep messing with the settings to figure it out. Anyhow, bonus post :)

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Very interesting Jim. The frogs seem to like the fresh air.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:22 pm

First Lorenzo clutch of 2016, and they were 3 for 3. This pair of siblings (2015C) is about 3.5 to 4 years old (I've had them for three years).
FullSizeRender-5.jpg

As we were discussing in this thread on managing limited founders stock, I've managed to catch both of my UE males (about 7 years old) and switch their enclosures. One male was quite a chore to catch, and he was not too happy about it:
FullSizeRender-6.jpg

FullSizeRender-7.jpg

This is a close up of the proven Lorenzo male:
FullSizeRender-8.jpg

His brother, still unproven, which hopefully changes this year. He is now grouped with two, young Stewart line females:
FullSizeRender-9.jpg

Interestingly the Lorenzo males from the UE line seem to have less yellow than Stewart / Schwinn males. I'm trying to keep four groups going, with two Stewart / Schwinn males, and two UE males.

On the fant front, the froglets are coming along. There are four in grow out, and a few more tadpoles in the water. I've been letting them tank raise in the big pool out front. The numbers of tadpoles morphing out from there are few in number, typically about one a month. I'll be interested in a 4 for 4 nominal fant trade later this summer - I'd like to get another set of non-siblings going.
IMG_9152.JPG

IMG_9153.JPG

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:38 pm

A good thunderstorm blew through last night and the sirensis have been pretty active. Two males calling, but one seems to be getting all the attention:
IMG_9168.JPG

and six inches below, no love:
IMG_9172.JPG

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:36 pm

Finally finished my Lorenzo 2016 groupings. Pulled a suspected 2015A male (Stewart) and grouped with two suspected 2015E females:
image.jpeg

I made the male swap earlier this week so that leaves me with three non sibling groups and my 2015C proven sibling pair. I will see how these three groups progress and I will consider breaking up the 2015C pairing next year. I am trying two 1.2 groupings. I had success with this in the past so we will see how this works out again.

And who can resist a fant belly shot:
image.jpeg

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”