Jim from Austin's frog wall

Your Full Tank Shot (FTS).....or not. Frog Room pics.
joneill809
Site Admin

Re: Jim from Austin's frog wall

Postby joneill809 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:42 pm

The summersi are hiding more as they settle in. The interesting behavior is three of the four roost in their film cans at night. A few shots of them:
image.jpeg
Female? Fattening up nicely.
image.jpeg
Other side of the Viv...

image.jpeg
Joined a little later by a third...

And a tinc belly shot :)
image.jpeg
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Another video update on the sirensis clutch:

The fourth clutch looks iffy. Maybe there is a good egg in there (1/4) but it's too soon to tell. They are on a fairly regular cadence now.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Highland sirensis success! Now we wait for froglets!
image.jpeg

I've got some video as well. Will post that as soon as I can prep it.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Figured I'd break the summer doldrums with a random update...too quiet on the boards! Some photos from around the vivs:
IMG_9807.JPG
R summersi!

IMG_9825.JPG
Bakhuis female - what you lookin at?

IMG_9819.JPG
Mom and kiddo in the shadows...

IMG_9827.JPG
Spring storms were good for red galacs...first froglets coming OOW.

And here's hoping Zach is still lurking :) I've always liked my super slow growing Selaginella erythropus. Recently I've noticed what I initially thought was some moss overgrowing it, but after tugging at it pretty good, I'm wondering if the plant is actually flowering. Any ideas?
IMG_9803.JPG
Selaginella erythropus wide angle

IMG_9801.JPG
Selaginella erythropus close up. Flowering?

IMG_9802.JPG
Selaginella erythropus alternate close up

Here's a full tank shot of the R. summersi viv where the Selaginella erythropus is planted.
summersi-fts.jpg

I really like this tank (and its occupants). Three types of selaginella and Begonia bipinnatifida dominate this viv. It's pretty different than my other vivs mostly because I dialed back the amount of space I allowed for the Selaginella uncinata. I like the way that looks, but I really like Selaginella erythropus much better, it's just a pain to wait for it to grow in! Believe it or not there is actually about four inches of live oak leaf litter piled up in the shadows of this tank. I just prefer having lush ground cover out front. The summersi surprisingly like hanging out on the Begonia bipinnatifida.
P1070228sm.JPG

goods

Postby goods » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 pm

Jim, sorry that I've been MIA for a bit. I don't think the things you're seeing are Selaginella reproductive structures. The little tree-like things definitely look like moss to me. There may be some strobili in the second photo far left, but it's hard to tell for sure from the photo if it is that or just some nice fronds.

Selaginella are like ferns, lycopodiums, etc. in that they technically don't flower but instead reproduce by spores. Their life cycle is a fairly complex process (compared to flowering plants) called alternation of generations. Basically the form that you see is the sporophyte, which produces haploid spores through the strobili. These spores divide and develop into a gametophyte, which produces gametes that eventually merge together (zygote) to produce another sporophyte.

If you scroll down to the Selaginella section here: http://samson.kean.edu/~breid/lect19/lect_19loc.html, the second photo has some decent detail about what strobili look like. They're basically like tightly clustered microphylls.
ZG

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 am

Looking good Jim!
Get those red galacts going so I can get some this fall!
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL
Help stop the spread of Chytrid! Disinfect your waste water before disposing of it and double bag all solid wastes please!!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks Zach! No worries - busy summer for all! Interesting I'll have to take a closer look at the tips of the different Selaginella I have. I have been nervous about tugging at this moss since the erythropus is so fragile. I may have to get out the pruning tongs and shears to get a closer look :)

Hey Jon! Four already this summer! There should be quite a few more in the morph out tank, but it's hard to get a count in the leaf litter / high tannin water lol.

Warhawk

Postby Warhawk » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Very cool setup and nice to read thru and see how it grew. Lots of people think things like this happen over night but it takes time. When built my fish room it took years to get up to it's largest, I have scaled it back a lot so I can make room for something like your setup in the years to come.

Got a question about the vivs, the 6 large ones are 18"x18"24" correct? How about the smaller grow out ones are those the 12"x12"x18" or the smaller 8" ones?

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks! Good luck with your build out!

Yes the larger vivs are 18-18-24 and the grow outs are 12-12-18. The grow outs are planted with friendship pilea and peacock spike moss - stuff I don't care about because I routinely clear them out and toss the plants.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:20 am

Time for an update on the highland sirensis / lamasi / tingo maria call 'em what you want project. The group has a few males that call consistently. I have not seen any eggs for the past month or so. The initial clutches from a few months back yielded four tads. I lost one - just found it floating one day, but the other three are coming along nicely. Some shots during a night time water change (they are in a 2.5 gallon tank with a sponge filter, Turface substrate, and an inch or so of saturated / sunk live oak leaves. There's also some floating bark for crawling out...this is the same setup I'm using for tincs and fants).
IMG_0015.JPG
Two highland tads in the leaf litter.

IMG_0019.JPG
Surfacing for a snack

IMG_0024.JPG
coming up for some air

IMG_0029.JPG
dorsal shot

IMG_0027.JPG
belly shot

IMG_0030.JPG
this one has a built in emoticon :)
IMG_0030.JPG (103.83 KiB) Viewed 3224 times

And finally, switching out fly traps...the uninitiated definitely give the little yellow bubbly jars a double take lol (apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap, shaken, not stirred):
IMG_0013.JPG

ErikM

Postby ErikM » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:28 pm

Hey Jim,

Am I understanding correctly that you are communally raising your ranitomeya tads? Very interesting. Also, that is a LOT of apple cider vinegar! I use a tiny little dish of it and it catches flies like crazy haha!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:25 pm

Haha yeah it looks like a lot but the jars are small - about 2oz and I have vivs scattered around the house so I have to distribute them around a bit. We also have dehumidifiers in our HVAC systems that help keep it cool down here - 45% RH or slightly lower during the summer which makes it feel really cold when it's 78 inside. The problem is the vinegar evaporates in about two weeks! It may be overkill, but it also keeps the Mrs. happy - drastically fewer strays in wine glasses :)

I started communally raising tincs and galacts a few years back after talking to Marcus Breece about how he handled his tadpoles. I was looking for less resource intensive methods for raising tads, and communal tanks fit the bill. I am still experimenting with this method and thumbnails - I did notice two of the first few froglets were missing toes, so I increased the amount of leaf litter I was using and I have not run into issues since. I like using about 1/2 to 1 inch of Turface, and another inch of live oak leaf litter in the tanks. I keep the water surface about 2 inches above the top of the leaves.

I've been using two of the 2.5 gallon tanks for fant grow out. I tend to put a batch in (8 to 12) and I won't see them for months as they are pretty good about burying themselves in the leaf litter. I feed them about twice a week, and change about 50% of the water every three weeks or so. And I wait. Then a few froglets emerge. I pulled three nice looking fant froglets this weekend :)

I have vented lids on the tanks, so I don't have to worry about tadpoles jumping out of cups, or froglets emerging when I am not paying attention. I don't have to be as careful monitoring evaporation now that the volume of water is higher and it's a bit more forgiving from a water conditioning perspective. I can also use a lot of leaves which gives me a nice tad tea. I run the sponge filters during the day (about 12 hours) and provide still water at night. I don't have that many fant tads at any given time - I rely on the males (2.2) to transport to a front pool in their enclosure, then I scoop up the tads when they are about a month old. They seem a bit fragile when they are smaller, so I don't bother moving them.

Overall I've been pretty happy with the setup and the upkeep is a lot easier.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:07 pm

I get one single Standard Lamasi missing even a toe NAIL and it's.....bing bang boom....separate enclosures from now on!

ErikM

Postby ErikM » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Very interesting!

So out of an 8-12 batch of tadpoles, how many froglets would you say make it out?

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:26 pm

These guys just started getting decent at transporting this spring, so I've only pulled a batch as large as 8 in the past few months and they are just starting to come out of water. Three came out last weekend but I'd have to poke around to see what is left in there. I saw a few more swimming around but I didn't take a count.

I don't get 100%, and I'm ok with that. I started this method with Lorenzo, figuring whatever survives transport and grow out in a tank as I described above would make for a stronger breeding population. My yields are lower than pulling eggs and cup rearing, but I hope they eventually prove to be stronger offspring. Not sure all this is necessary for fants, but I like the idea of the approach. Not much scientific data to back this up...would be interesting to hear other folks' thoughts.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Summersi!
image1.JPG

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:23 am

The summersi clutch is coming along. I have not pulled it yet because one of the eggs was deposited right on the lip of the cup so I figured I would wait for the embryo to develop further before moving.

Got this phone pic this AM of a holdback Lorenzo female in grow out. She is a 2015E animal- one of my first crosses of UE and Stewart (UE / Schwinn). So far the 2015E females I have selected are robust - large and aggressive feeders like their mom.
image.jpeg

Her male is a 2014A animal - Stewart line group from a clutch in early 2015. I don't expect breeding from them this year as they still have some growing to do :)

I have been pretty conservative with the Lorenzo project. I have four groups (one producing) and I will likely add a fifth after a trade with another Lorenzo keeper. I dried out their enclosures to reduce the likelihood of breeding. I only encourage my breeding pair by buttoning up their Viv vents twice a year for a month at a time now. I have also held back about a dozen animals to ensure I have a good stock of robust pairs. I'll eventually pair up the holdbacks and distribute to the hobby hopefully this winter. They should be easily sexable at that point (18+ months).

Anyhow I'm sharing these details so Lorenzo enthusiasts can keep this in mind when breeding. In my experience, these animals require different care than typical tincs. The females are pretty fragile, so you can't breed them year round. I also try to discourage breeding until they are past 18 months and I'm now targeting 24 months. Since I'm no longer offering froglets most of the waiting will be on my end lol.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:56 pm

Good news on the Lorenzo front. The 1.2 I setup over the winter has deposited a clutch. This is an 8 year old male with two 18 month old females from by 2015E cross. The clutch doesn't look good, but this promising! Here's a look at their viv and where their hut and dish are located - they like it pretty secluded.
IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

I've found Lorenzo do better in subdued lighting with a well developed canopy above. They like lurking in the shadows. This trio likes hanging out on the back wall where I glued a series of cork bark strips up the wall to provide scaffolding for plants. They tend to roost in these ledges above the hut. It's pretty dark back there, hence my crummy picture of two of them:
IMG_0137.JPG

The suspected female from another young 1.1 I've setup:
IMG_0131.JPG

She's still a bit young, but she's looking like she'll develop into a nice robust female. Here's the male from the old 2015E pairing. He's grouped with a 2015C female who is coming along...maybe this winter.
IMG_0134.JPG

The proven 1.1 is doing well, though they are about to get some plant changes which will likely rattle them a bit. The 1.2 is depositing, and the two 1.1's are still growing out :) So there's the Lorenzo update!

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:59 pm

love the Lorenzos. They look like bandits with their dark bodies and yellow masks. Interesting huge log O' moss in the middle.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 pm

The log is actually covered with an epiphytic fern, Davallia parvula, from Zach (goods)! The rhizomes have gone bonkers for some reason, and I get very few fronds. But it has exploded all over the cork round. I will likely harvest some from this round and try in a few other locations with different lighting and misting conditions to see if it grows differently.

Return to “Vivarium, Frog Room and Plant Photographs”