Some of my frogs - Pics

Members Dart Frogs, Zoological pics or even In-Situ from your vacation. Videos. Dart Den Members Only Viewing.
pafrogguy

Re: Some of my frogs - Pics

Postby pafrogguy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:57 am

Well I can only say from my experience, but I have 2 pairs from the original 14 that came in. At first I know in Europe there was some discussion on the boards with them possibly being matechos. Well my matechos are among the boldest frogs I have and are just now starting to court. They also have a different body shape as la fumees and are smaller. As for behavior, the males and females behave completely different from one another. The males tend to be out and about more often and females are very reclusive for large tincs. The females seem to pressure the males though when it comes to eating, so I try to make sure they are apart at feeding so I can monitor the males and make sure they get enough to eat. The males are very aggressive towards each other (I tried a trio and that immediately did not work) and they have a dang loud buzz call for a tinc. I can hear mine plain as day when they do call. And I don't know of any folks that are getting regular good breeding out of them. My one pair has not produced, male calls all the time but female is not interested at all. Other pair female was the breeding aggressor and laid single eggs all over the viv at first without being fertilized. Then when they did produce a clutch it was 2 eggs and they dug a whole under driftwood and laid them under there. I have never seen a tinc dig a hole to lay eggs. Male stayed on them the entire time, I never seen him out and this was how I found the eggs, but I had to wait for him to transport to get them. Now they have no interest in each other. They keep to themselves as well as my other pair. One cool thing and a def differentiating factor from the matechos is some la fumee have almost a galactonotus splashback pattern on their backs. It just look like pait was thrown on them, and then some are completely solid like a matecho. Very variable, but I have never seen a matecho with the splash and running paint pattern. These are also more consistent in color. Where matechos are yellow, neon yellow, and orange, these then to stay orange. Hope this helps

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:11 am

pafrogguy wrote:They are huge. Females a good bit larger than adult mints. They are beautiful too but a hard frog to work with. They just don't behave like other tincs. I used to question if they were really seperate from matecho but after working with them for a bit, they are much more challenging than matecho are. Anyone having real success with these? I know only 14 were brought in and I haven't seen anyone offering them

I have 1.4 and they're breeding for me. I have 1.1 together and 0.3 separated and alternate females.
Glenn

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:24 am

Pm'd! Lucky to have all those females, they are like gold and hard to find here. Only folks I know who had them never had anything I would call regular breeding from them. Then again I only know 3 people personally besides myself who work with them, there are more, but can't be too many folks since so few were brought in.

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:37 pm

pafrogguy wrote:Pm'd! Lucky to have all those females, they are like gold and hard to find here. Only folks I know who had them never had anything I would call regular breeding from them. Then again I only know 3 people personally besides myself who work with them, there are more, but can't be too many folks since so few were brought in.

PM returned. I didn't feel lucky until now. lol I wish I had another male...There must have been more than 14 if I, alone, have 5. :?
Glenn

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:56 pm

Well I don't know if someone else may have brought them in(I did not think anyone else did), but Sean Stewart only brought 14 or maybe it was 17 in. I am sure of that as I am at the frog barn pretty often and Barbara and I were just recently discussing it. And I know Mike Steel had his breeding, but sold his breeding group back to Sean, which I have 2 from those and none have produced since. And finding them here in the states is pretty dang hard. I know of only a handful of folks who have them.

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Male La Fumee
Attachments
la fumee male 2.jpg

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:27 pm

And this lady here I call "The Hate Tank" lol. Look how monstrous she is!
Attachments
la fumee female.jpg

Brian317

Postby Brian317 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Your La Fumee look amazing! They look huge!!
-Brian
Fine Spot Leucs, Bakhuis, Variabilis, Varadero, Fantastica, Green Sirensis

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:24 pm

The first female pictured is probably a tiny bit over 3 inches and the last one pictured is shorter but bulkier than my mint terribilis lol

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:48 pm

My new additions.
Attachments
paru pair.jpg

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Nice addition Josh! You may have to add a frog room shot soon!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Working on converting a 24 x 32 building into my frog room now. Just finished my rough wired electrical work and going to be doing the insulation end of next week hopefully. Had to clear out a crapload of tools on Craiglist before I could get into everything lol. I will post shots as soon as I get my insulation up. Should be able to do several hundred tanks in there!

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:01 pm

pafrogguy wrote:Working on converting a 24 x 32 building into my frog room now.... Should be able to do several hundred tanks in there!

:shock: wow! Can't wait to see that!
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:13 pm

A few more shots
Attachments
sylvaticus tank.jpg
popa viv.jpg
sylvaticus 1.jpg
mint 2.jpg

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:17 pm

Here is a 40 gallon breeder I just finished with a Supe's Exotic Jungle front assembly on it. Assembly again is top notch! But I built this for the Paru, however I think they may be courting and or guarding a clutch so I will probably leave them in until I am 100% certain. So this is the home for a trio of Quepos Grannies I will be receiving shortly from Rich. I kept it fairly simple. GS background with Titebond 3 method in B-nice video (thanks!) but I used coco and some sphagnum here and there. I will use NEHerp substrate next time to see how that looks, but I am really pleased with this. It is hard to see everything in there, but I have multiple clusters of film cans embedded in the background. I have plenty of very nice broms from my collection, my favorite being the one I have pictured alone that gets a beautiful purple center. Several tiers of ghostwood stretching throughout the tank. A nice thick layer of leaf litter. I use sea grape at the bottom of all vivs. I have found it breaks down fast and springs and isos EXPLODE when this is used and allowed to keep perpetually moist, then I cover with a mix of crushed magnolia and a thick layer of live oak. There are some spike mosses, pothos, philos, wandering jew (several types), and a thick creeping fig that really does great at taking over backgrounds. Plenty of ledges, and shade spots under the backgrounds, and all of the wood.Once the canopy grows in over the next couple weeks, it should have a lot more shady spots under everything. Unfortunately the broms will probably lose their color as I will be using much less light for the grannies. And yes it is on the floor, now I get the fun task of lifting it up onto my rack lol
Attachments
broms and film cluster.jpg
broms and film cluster 2.jpg
brom 1 favorite.jpg
40 gal breeder side conversion.jpg

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:24 pm

another shot with the doors closed. I only did partial side backgrounds and I can honestly say I do not like complete side backgrounds anymore. They just don't make good use of the light and I feel if you have good growth and pieces for it to create paths and walkways on, they really aren't that necessary. I recently did an Iquitos tank that has no background and just a small ledge made for a very branchy piece of ghostwood. In a month when the growth fills in, it won't even be noticeable that there is no background. I will be experimenting more with this method in the coming builds. But for something this size, I feel a background is needed.
Attachments
40 gal breeder side conversion 2.jpg

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:20 am

Very nice ! That's one of those Supe door kits right ? How do you like it ?

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:31 am

I really like them. I got the tank for $40 at the $1 a gallon sale, then $50 for the front, so I basically got a 36x18x18 exo for $90. I am buying a bunch more 40's at the next sale and converting them. Build quality is top notch and I don't need to modify it at all.

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Looks great! Who makes the doors?
Glenn

Armson

Postby Armson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:08 pm

Philsuma wrote:Very nice ! That's one of those Supe door kits right ?

link?

Return to “Dart Frog Photographs / Wild Habitat Pics”