Exo Terra Monsoon review needed !

Equiptment, Tools, Timers, Fans, Parts and their use.
LuckyFrog

Re: Exo Terra Monsoon review needed !

Postby LuckyFrog » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Has anyone used the remote control with this unit?

I bought mine from Black Jungle, I have had no problems with it (yet? I wont jinx myself!)

I wanted to use/buy the remote, but its costly....Anyone use it? I need to know.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:01 pm

joneill809 wrote:Well the tubing has deteriorated further since my last posts. Looks like replacement tubing will be my next viv project - it looks like I have a drip irrigation system installed in my viv. I'll let everyone know what solution I come up with. I'll see if I can get a clear pic or video of the drip system in action :)

Here are two shots of the leaky tubes:
leaky-pipes-P1010042.JPG
This tube had multiple drip leaks and one stream in toward the back of the viv that is not visible in this picture.

leaky-pipes-P1010045.JPG
The opposite side developed multiple streaming leaks.

I was able to replace this tubing with ice-maker tubing. The OD was the same, 1/4", but the inner diameter on the ice-maker tubing was larger. I tested the tubing out on one viv and it worked fine, so I replaced all four tubes leading to the nozzles in both vivs. It seems like the OEM tubing hardened over time and cracked. The tubing outside the viv seems to have maintained it's flexibility.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:12 pm

I've expanded my monsoon collection to four (yikes) scattered across my house. I don't have a frog room, so no central mist king for me. I've only had one flaky unit, and I suspect it's from using the refill port. That was the only unit that I used the built in funnel for filling the reservoir and that unit failed. The other three have been handled differently - I remove the tank and fill it with the cover off. No issues since making that switch.

I have started using RO tubing to replace my existing lines. I also modified my Zoo Med and Exoterra terrariums to make a more low profile appearance for the Monsoon nozzles.
monsoon-nzl-closeup_5065.JPG
I used a 1/4" bit to drill a hole in the lip of this Zoo Med terrarium. I don't use the stock frame - I remove them and the plastic latches and simply drop in a sheet of glass with a 1" vent along the front. These nozzles will be siliconed in place.

monsoon-nzl-closeup_5066.JPG
Another view of the installed nozzle after a 1/4" hole has been drilled in the lip of the terrarium.

monsoon-nzl-right_5004.jpg
This is the right nozzle, where the tubing from the pump is split to service two nozzles.

monsoon-nzl-left_5003.jpg
This is a view of the terminated line. This side tends to flow at a lower rate than the right side. I may have to rework the T to get a more even flow.

monsoon-nzl-left-inside_4998.jpg
An inside view of an installed nozzle. The upper housing is actually siliconed in place, but the nozzles can still be articulated to direct the mist stream.

monsoon-nzl-installed.jpg
View of the installed nozzles. The tubing is hidden within a custom low profile hood, much improved over the stock Monsoon approach of running the tubing from the back of the viv to the front and using suction cups to mount the nozzles.

So far this has been working great for me. I have made this modification on 3 Zoo Med and 1 Exoterra terrariums. The mod works better on Zoo Meds which have a wider plastic rim than the Exoterras. I really like the low profile look, and not having to see suction cups and mist lines running through the top of the viv.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:34 pm

Jim, the Monsoon still working well ?

I just keep hearing about 9 out of 10 of the timers crapping out and then the whole reseviour empties into the vivarium creating....wait for it....a.....MONSOON.

heh

Pacblu202

Postby Pacblu202 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Philsuma, I can't say how long I had mine going but I didn't have issues with it when I left it on. Haven't had it in a tank for a few years though so I don't remember how I even did it. I think what I did is use it as a mister, not a timer. So I just turned it on to mist, then turned it if after a few minutes. That seemed to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:53 pm

Pacblu202 wrote:Philsuma, I can't say how long I had mine going but I didn't have issues with it when I left it on. Haven't had it in a tank for a few years though so I don't remember how I even did it. I think what I did is use it as a mister, not a timer. So I just turned it on to mist, then turned it if after a few minutes. That seemed to work well.

It's produced and marketed to be left on and then misting as per a variable timer. I hear the timer almost always fails.

If you just used it to 'spot mist' , why not just hand spray ? Automation is the key with all these systems.

Pacblu202

Postby Pacblu202 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:56 pm

I got it for free and when I was making my tank just figured I'd add it in. Sure the automation is key but I didn't want to risk anything. I was usually around the tank frequently anyway to pop it out once or twice a day. I know what you mean though.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:02 am

Philsuma wrote:Jim, the Monsoon still working well ?

I just keep hearing about 9 out of 10 of the timers crapping out and then the whole reseviour empties into the vivarium creating....wait for it....a.....MONSOON.

heh

Three of the four I had purchased had timer failures. I added external minute timers to two and decommissioned the third. I still have one good timer on the three remaining units. they serve their purpose for my vivs that are too far away from my mist king. I picked up a few at $70 shipped on Amazon so I'm not too broken up about the timer failures but I would have been pretty annoyed if I had paid more.

I would not use one on a viv without enough capacity in your false bottom to guard against a timer failure.

I think your assessment is likely correct 80%+ timer failure rate on these. That's with the version 2.0 models too. They probably should just ship everyone a free external timer to buy back some goodwill in the hobby. It's a nice industrial design, but the electronics stink.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:52 pm

I can't see the date from my last post since the bump reset the post date, but I have now decommissioned another monsoon in favor of a mistking. In this case the monsoon just could not push enough water through six most heads on my 120 display tank, while the mistking creates a ... well ... monsoon.

Is there another more recent version that has been redesigned? Mine were the second version that were supposed to be better....I do still have one out of four that is still using the factory timer.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:06 pm

I'm gonna hafta say here and now that this product is pretty much a fail. $75.00 of crap.

They are *almost* taking advantage of a needed niche here - a cheap alternative to Mist King. The key words are 'Taking Advantage".

Return to “Lighting, Misting Systems, Tweaks, Modifications”