Ethics in the Dart Frog Hobby - start thread

Current events - Televison and News, Habitat loss. Ethics and raising awareness discussions.
Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Ethics in the Dart Frog Hobby - start thread

Postby Philsuma » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:20 pm

Philsuma wrote:The big thing, is....caution everyone against impulse buys online or at Reptile Shows.

Take time to read forums and since most new people are shy....PM the old-heads and the people with hundreds and thousands of posts. You will then get the straight scoop on stuff, if you are still confused or unsure of who is good, or what constitutes a bad frog.

I was proud to allow over 40 different froggers into my residence and personal frog room. I told them all where each and every frog came from without hesitation, if they asked....sometimes when they DIDN'T ask (you all know me by now).

Never be ashamed or have to lie about who / where you got your frogs. That's one of the quick litmus tests for Ethics. Do your due diligence. I can't imagine a viv in my house / care where that I would hide from people. One of the great joys in this hobby is the interaction both in person and on the forums. Take that away and what....you have a bunch of illegal frogs that you and your 'gangsta' friends enjoy. Not me.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri May 06, 2016 5:46 pm

The 'Middle Category" of Frogs is GREY. Not Brown. Brown is misleading and is a actual descriptive term for frogs - there are many brown frogs and 'brown frogs with flash marks'.

"Green" = 'OK or safe. Come to think about it, the word 'Green' is worse than 'Brown' as a TON of frogs are actually green in colour. I think we should just not use a colour designation for the obviously OK frogs. We only need to use 'Grey or Black' in all probability.

"GREY" = 'Maybe' or in-=the-middle of right or wrong

Black = Dangerous or illegal

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri May 06, 2016 6:47 pm

I think the reference to brown was the mixing of green with grey or black, or the attempt to pass off previously smuggled frogs as legal once an outfit like Tesoros starts bringing in previously illegal animals legally. Perhaps I misinterpreted.
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri May 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Brown' is just a confusing made up word that means MANY other things.

I just cannot think anything other than 'Grey area frogs' should be used for discussing frogs of dubious legality.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri May 06, 2016 6:58 pm

There is no such word to describe 'mixed' legal and illegal frogs.

WASHED is about the best term for what happens to try to make an illegal frog INTO a legal one, but again, it cannot be assigned a colour.

MUDDY, MUDDLED,MUD variations are no good either because those are legitimate terms for breeding legal frogs as well.

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:09 pm

The constant desire for new imports is frustrating. Was it always like this? It seems like we as a hobby have a complete inability to appreciate what frogs we have. I think "ethics" could be extended to cover management - are we doing right by the animals we already have in captivity? There are so many wonderful locales already here...why can't we just appreciate what we have and ensure their long term viability? That is the ethical way to manage our frogs. I'm just going to keep posting this everywhere :)
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:26 am

Here's a really depressing thought:

We DO actually, 100%, have MORE Dart Frogs and probably EVERY other kind of frog available here in the U.S than there are hobbyists !!!

In other words we have too many frogs. We have more frogs than people who want them!

Gluttony. Sheer gluttony. So sad

Last bumped by Philsuma on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:26 am.

Return to “Science, Conservation and News”