Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Current events - Televison and News, Habitat loss. Ethics and raising awareness discussions.
User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10477
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby Philsuma » Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

^^ They may as well say they fit the frogs with little astronaut helmets too, in case they need to get shot into space, while their at it.

markpulawski
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:55 pm
Location: Sarasota, Florida

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby markpulawski » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:27 pm

An awful lot of these frogs come in wearing little overalls and straw hats...if that ain't farmer gear i don't know what is!

User avatar
Chuck Lawson
Site Admin
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:52 pm
Location: Rowlett, TX

Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby Chuck Lawson » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 pm

markpulawski wrote:An awful lot of these frogs come in wearing little overalls and straw hats...if that ain't farmer gear i don't know what is!


Now if we could just teach them to use pruning shears...

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10477
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby Philsuma » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:31 pm

No Virginia... Panamanian 'Frog Farms' do not exist - there are only 'holding areas'.

DrNick
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby DrNick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:05 am

Philsuma wrote:No Virginia... Panamanian 'Frog Farms' do not exist - there are only 'holding areas'.


You mean like tuna 'ranches'?! LOL

BluePumilio
Senior Member
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby BluePumilio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:28 am

Except there are real advances on Tuna farms. :)

DrNick wrote:
Philsuma wrote:No Virginia... Panamanian 'Frog Farms' do not exist - there are only 'holding areas'.


You mean like tuna 'ranches'?! LOL

User avatar
RichFrye
Senior Member
Posts: 4451
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:10 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby RichFrye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 am

There are great advances in pum farms too, they are just not in Panama.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.


If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User avatar
Rusty_Shackleford
Senior Member
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:52 pm
Location: Ft. Myers, FL

Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm

I think the Panamanian frog farms are right next to the Panamanian snipe farms right?


Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL
Help stop the spread of Chytrid! Disinfect your waste water before disposing of it and double bag all solid wastes please!!

BluePumilio
Senior Member
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Dart Frog

Postby BluePumilio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 pm

In the future there may be real farms....so don't joke too much. People are working on it. :P

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:I think the Panamanian frog farms are right next to the Panamanian snipe farms right?


Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

User avatar
RichFrye
Senior Member
Posts: 4451
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:10 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby RichFrye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 pm

Business people tend to go to the lowest common denominator. If it is cheaper, easier, faster, etc. to legally pick them up off the ground and ship 'em right away, that's what will tend to stick...

And yes, there was a woman down in Panama who was farming pums the right way. She was shut down by the gvmt.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.


If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10477
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:50 pm

BluePumilio wrote:In the future there may be real farms....so don't joke too much. People are working on it. :P

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:I think the Panamanian frog farms are right next to the Panamanian snipe farms right?


Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk


That IS the hope and dream. The Brian K blueprint in C.R for example. Devin in Mad.

The problem with Oophaga pumilio, is that even with habitat destruction, it proves to be a nicely adaptable animal, capable of living in deforested and disturbed / rural areas. There are a number of anurans ahead of them for in situ breeding / conservation projects.

User avatar
RichFrye
Senior Member
Posts: 4451
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:10 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog

Postby RichFrye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Philsuma wrote:...

That IS the hope and dream. The Brian K blueprint in C.R for example.


To be clear, It's not a 'Kubicki' "footprint". It's Costa Rica's laws and "footprints". No choice but to actually breed the frogs in Costa Rica. If Panama sets no guidelines/laws against grabbing frogs, then obligates will not be bred in large numbers , they'll be picked up and shipped right out. As they have been for about the last ten years, consistently, thousands, without a pause, year in, year out.
Philsuma wrote:
The problem with Oophaga pumilio, is that even with habitat destruction, it proves to be a nicely adaptable animal, capable of living in deforested and disturbed / rural areas. There are a number of anurans ahead of them for in situ breeding / conservation projects.


I'm not sure what you mean by this at all.
Yes , pums are highly adaptable and live well with humans.
Panama , as a government, does not give a shit about conservation, just $$.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.


If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10477
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:14 pm

Blueprint on how to run a true 'frog farm"...not "footprint"

It means...good luck with any large scale pumilio farming operation...ain't gonna happen.

BluePumilio
Senior Member
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby BluePumilio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Oh Phil....if only you knew. Things are greatly expanding on this front in so many places. :)


Philsuma wrote:Blueprint on how to run a true 'frog farm"...not "footprint"

It means...good luck with any large scale pumilio farming operation...ain't gonna happen.

User avatar
RichFrye
Senior Member
Posts: 4451
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:10 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby RichFrye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Sorry, it is a Costa Rican "blueprint" , not a 'Kubicki blueprint' is what I am saying.
My point is that CR does it right , to the extreme , and Panama is on the other far end of that . Panama sucks.
No, there will never be any large scale commercial obligate breeding in any legit manner. They just don't breed in large numbers. This is why you only see small numbers of legit stuff come in, like Justin's . And hopefully more from other CR breeders in the future.
Small numbers of quality, legal, responsibly bred obligates WITH TRUE AND ACCURATE INFO.
But, with Sickly, why spend more than 30-40 bucks a pum... :roll:
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.


If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10477
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 pm

BluePumilio wrote:Oh Phil....if only you knew. Things are greatly expanding on this front in so many places. :)


Philsuma wrote:Blueprint on how to run a true 'frog farm"...not "footprint"

It means...good luck with any large scale pumilio farming operation...ain't gonna happen.


Justin...are you going for 'keeper of double-secret' frog information. :wink:

BluePumilio
Senior Member
Posts: 514
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby BluePumilio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:38 pm

That's always my goal! Just let out a tiny bit of information to entice....then remain quiet. Hahahahaha....I talk too much sometimes.


Philsuma wrote:
BluePumilio wrote:Oh Phil....if only you knew. Things are greatly expanding on this front in so many places. :)


Philsuma wrote:Blueprint on how to run a true 'frog farm"...not "footprint"

It means...good luck with any large scale pumilio farming operation...ain't gonna happen.


Justin...are you going for 'keeper of double-secret' frog information. :wink:

User avatar
RichFrye
Senior Member
Posts: 4451
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:10 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby RichFrye » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:44 pm

I've found that sometimes this hobby rewards given info with FOIA demands and government official rattings.
So I totally get a little discretion. So should most everyone.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.


If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10477
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby Philsuma » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:47 pm

^ hard to argue against that, Rich...

User avatar
Philsuma
Site Owner
Posts: 10477
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:10 am
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Contact:

Re: Dart Frog "Farms", do they exist ?

Postby Philsuma » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:06 pm

To date, there can NEVER be imported site specific / locale info for Panamanian frogs.

Hence,to date as well, there can NEVER be DNA or other testing.

Quiz - Can anyone (Justin ?) answer why this is ?

This is the reoccurring problem with trying to match up imports with pics ect.


Return to “Science, Conservation and News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests