Can we truly be 'happy' with imported frogs ?

Current events - Televison and News, Habitat loss. Ethics and raising awareness discussions.
Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Can we truly be 'happy' with imported frogs ?

Postby Philsuma » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Chris...VERY nice to finally meet you last weekend. We had some good talks on ^^ this subject, yes ?

Sherman

Postby Sherman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Phil,

Yes it was very nice to meet you and the others at Frog Day. I had a great time and am very glad I went as a vendor, otherwise I would not have spent two nights in the hotel.

I re-read this thread and really wish that someone would take the pro-import stance to make this a real conversation. I stand by my assumption that the lack of input from any opposing viewpoint is not because this is a "tiresome and pointless" subject, but those that hold the viewpoint know that when the facts are laid out they will look bad and that in turn may be a costly ($$$$) mistake.
(I was particularly irritated with the "pointless" comment reading it this time.)

I will sum this up with a photo of something that sat on my table this weekend.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:45 pm

So, let's say I cared about pumilio conservation.

And I had a good deal of disposable / investable income.

What to do ?

BREEDING Projects right ?

Conservation thu Captive Breeding ?! ...we are ALL fans of this !

So....All I need to do is order/import a BUNCH of newly snagged 'FR' pumilio to START my breeding projects, correct ?

THEN, I just MAY have to order some 'special; morphs because i like them yada yada yada

Sooooooo...after ALL that NEW importing, I'm ready to start breeding for conservation !

Anyone see anything confusing or wrong here?

Sherman

Postby Sherman » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Does anyone have a photo of a red O. lehmanni to post here?
After Andreas Zarling's talk at Frog Day 2013 this particular frog has become emblematic for me.
This locality is likely lost in the wild due to over-collecting.
The habitat is still viable, so habitat destruction can not be blamed for the disappearance.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:39 pm

I want to do a thread on that particular species / population. I was ATTEMPTING to investigate which country was responsible for the consuming - I KNOW it ain't the U.S because I would have heard at least some rumblings and I trust my sources here....but I was rudely shouted down by Ron S. and could not get the answers and info I needed. I'll follow up with Andreas - I have his email.

Return to “Science, Conservation and News”