Oophaga occultator
Oophaga pumilio
Oophaga speciosa
Oophaga sylvatica
Oophaga vicentei
Michael Lawrence

Re: Next weeks pumilio shipment!

Postby Michael Lawrence » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:48 am

Salt Creek, Esperanza, Popas, Bahia Grande, Cristobals, Loma's and a few others came in..........This next one was said to be Basti's, Escudo, Solarte and there were rumors at once of Uyama and others coming.

Why Post it up? Im guessing to allow everyone access to ground zero to prevent others from buying it all up in bulk for resale. If Strictly gets enough interest they may not hand out the wholesale buys and sell it all themselves.

Doesnt take Huge Ball's to post something when you have an ax to grind.
Everyday I meet someone I dislike, are you today's pick? If you dislike me it's because somethings wrong with you!

Don't Be A Hybridiot!

Rusty_Shackleford

Postby Rusty_Shackleford » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:02 pm

My apologies for a lack of knowledge on this subject. I don't know how the whole importation process works, but I have a question. Does anyone know if Strictly QT's and treats their imported stock? Would it be up to the individual purchaser to do this? Or if they have enough interest and just end up selling all the frogs themselves would they go through this process? Just curious, not wanting to start any trouble.
Jon - Ft. Myers, FL
Help stop the spread of Chytrid! Disinfect your waste water before disposing of it and double bag all solid wastes please!!

Stu&Shaz

Postby Stu&Shaz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Phil Michael thanks for the help,i'm curious as to where the 2 colours of cem bastis(orange and white,well i think you guys call them goldust?) that we are seeing here arriving are coming from,hence my question,we also saw salt creek(red on top of white0 2 colours of escudo, christobel and nancy not sure if thats all of them.So if you guys had no cem bastis(red) then i guess there is somewhere else as the source,any ideas?

I'm also just trying to further my knowledge,which is lacking,about the actual imports and how it all works ,i guess much like Jon,hence any details you could bestow i would be very grateful for, I know i'm on the other side of the globe,so details given will not necessarily be relevent to me,but I'd have a guess from some of the above posts, many novices would welcome knowledge on how all this works if that is possible.i'm also not trying to start any trouble it just seems like a really good idea to a) know where and how the frogs travel, and b)as with Jon what kind of QT is done and where
especially for new comers and c) everyone gets the same chance if applicable
Earlier posts questions and answers i have made have revealed QT should be down to me personally,ie the buyer,but it cannot be a bad thing to know if a frog has received some shotgun (you call them?) treatment before hand,as this knowledge can then be passed on to said buyer's vet
thanks and regards
Stu

cbreon

Postby cbreon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:30 pm

Rusty_Shackleford wrote:My apologies for a lack of knowledge on this subject. I don't know how the whole importation process works, but I have a question. Does anyone know if Strictly QT's and treats their imported stock? Would it be up to the individual purchaser to do this? Or if they have enough interest and just end up selling all the frogs themselves would they go through this process? Just curious, not wanting to start any trouble.

Strictly does not typically QT and I don't think they have any interest in doing it. Over the years there have been some resellers and some board members that bought large groups and sexed and QT'd then charged extra for those services.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:34 pm

cbreon wrote:
Rusty_Shackleford wrote:My apologies for a lack of knowledge on this subject. I don't know how the whole importation process works, but I have a question. Does anyone know if Strictly QT's and treats their imported stock? Would it be up to the individual purchaser to do this? Or if they have enough interest and just end up selling all the frogs themselves would they go through this process? Just curious, not wanting to start any trouble.

Strictly does not typically QT and I don't think they have any interest in doing it. Over the years there have been some resellers and some board members that bought large groups and sexed and QT'd then charged extra for those services.

hospital-injuries-disease-and-treatments-f15/direct-importer-quarantine-or-not-t6126.html

cbreon

Postby cbreon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Michael Lawrence wrote:Doesnt take Huge Ball's to post something when you have an ax to grind.

exactly

Michael Lawrence wrote:
Salt Creek, Esperanza, Popas, Bahia Grande, Cristobals, Loma's and a few others came in..........This next one was said to be Basti's, Escudo, Solarte and there were rumors at once of Uyama and others coming.

Bastis, Solarte, Escudos, cayo de aqua,colon,rambala, more bahias, and tranquilo have all been mentioned, but as someone else mentioned these imports are traditionally very unpredictable...

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:01 pm

I have a question and I'm not familiar with the US market. How much longer will WC be needed and are they needed now? Guess that's two questions...

Best
Glenn

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:05 pm

"Needed".....I seriously believe the hobby is producing enough pumilio per hobbyist.

Now here's the rub...

People, being people...always want what they DON'T have. They want whatever is newer, bigger, better, spashy-ier than the next guy.

so....to answer your question Glenn. WC pumilio will continue to roll in, especially the seldom seen morphs so that the demand will remain high for something few others have.

We are our own worst enemy, so it seems.

frogfreak

Postby frogfreak » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Philsuma wrote:"Needed".....I seriously believe the hobby is producing enough pumilio per hobbyist.

Now here's the rub...

People, being people...always want what they DON'T have. They want whatever is newer, bigger, better, spashy-ier than the next guy.

so....to answer your question Glenn. WC pumilio will continue to roll in, especially the seldom seen morphs so that the demand will remain high for something few others have..

Thanks, Phil. and well put! I had a feeling this was the case, but wasn't 100% sure.

Philsuma wrote:We are our own worst enemy, so it seems.

And the frogs...
Glenn

pa.walt

Postby pa.walt » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:38 pm

frogfreak wrote:I have a question and I'm not familiar with the US market. How much longer will WC be needed and are they needed now? Guess that's two questions...

Best

pretty much people always want the "IN" thing. look at what people do just to get an i-phone. there is no way i would stand in line for hours on end to get an i-phone. just wait a few weeks and walk right in to a place and get it. same goes for frogs. it doesn't take much thought on who will get the newest fogs if you are on the boards for a while.
about the qt. they wouldn't make any money if they qt everything that they get in. plus all the room it takes up. ok i am done here on what i want to say i'll shut up. back to lurking.

BcsTx

Postby BcsTx » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:54 pm

Walt IMO you are correct.
First of all no matter who you get your frogs from always QT away from your collection and test, I would highly recommend PCR testing for ranavirus and chytrid. While these "new Imports" keep coming in I would stand back on the sidelines and see what F1's are available vs. jumping the gun on WC.
Maybe cheaper to jump on the WC but I hope everyone understands the implications of proper QT and testing before taking the leap.
-Beth

markpulawski

Postby markpulawski » Tue May 01, 2012 9:43 am

Very true Beth, though the last few imports from Panama have been in very good shape (figuratively speaking) there is always the risk of contamination...and depending on your collection the risk of losing many $$ should make everyone exercise caution with new frogs. Though anyone's collection may contain some nasties they are unaware of I also feel this needs to be said about the European imports as well as in the past they have been especially injurious in the way of viral/fungal/bacterial infection.
Walt/Phil this hobby has for so long to so many been about getting what you don't have, or another way to put it being challenged by something you have not worked with. I applaud those that work with Tincs and Auratus for years, continuing to produce what most would consider beginner's frogs.
It will be interesting to see what comes in and also when it comes in...scheduled this week, I would be very surprised to see it here this week, this month is a better target but as Strictly had ZERO dart frogs 2 weeks ago I am sure they are pushing to have some inventory. Good luck to those who participate.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Info from a couple people indicate that the time table for this next pumilio import is a little off. It certainly won't be 'next week".

No firm date yet.

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Wed May 02, 2012 1:29 pm

100%.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed May 02, 2012 1:35 pm

100% ?

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Wed May 02, 2012 1:38 pm

The reply by some on time-lines and what was coming from the last abortion...100%.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

BluePumilio

Postby BluePumilio » Wed May 02, 2012 1:53 pm

With importing, one thing is certain, delays and problems. Everything has to match just right with the airlines, health certs, CITES and other documents. I think I have 1 out of 10 shipments come in on time. Even when exporting, delays often happen. Perhaps they want a different common name used on a Certificate or Origin, etc. It is foolish for anyone to expect these shipments should arrive when expected. Which is exactly why Strictly and other wholesalers don't usually announce a shipment until it's in the door or at least in the air.

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Wed May 02, 2012 2:04 pm

Foolish , yes.
Also foolish to promise what can not be promised and arbitrarily label best guesses. But, the same ol' same ol' when it comes to these "farm raised" ...100%

JJuchems

Postby JJuchems » Wed May 02, 2012 4:24 pm

Philsuma wrote:Info from a couple people indicate that the time table for this next pumilio import is a little off. It certainly won't be 'next week".

No firm date yet.

Really?
Later and Happy Frogging,
Jason Juchems

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed May 02, 2012 4:27 pm

First we got Rich saying cryptically..."100%"....

Now this ^^...

Care to add a little more than a single word Jason ?

Return to “Oophaga Genus”