Oophaga occultator
Oophaga pumilio
Oophaga speciosa
Oophaga sylvatica
Oophaga vicentei
hoppityBoppity11

Re: Guápiles Oophaga pumilio ?

Postby hoppityBoppity11 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:12 am

I dont know about everyone else here but i sure would love to sed pictures of where these frogs are being "cared" for

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:52 am

Philsuma wrote:All CR blue jeans and black jeans are very similar IMO. Other than a TRUE locale GPS that you trust, I have no idea why one population would be any more desirable than another.

You can trust me when I say that not all CR pum populations look alike. Two different locales and four different variations below. I could post a lot more variations.
A lot may look somewhat similar, in photographs, but they are most certainly different . For example, frogs in Siquirres are generally larger and darker legged than known bluejeans locales. They have a different call also.
L1050073.JPG
MP9O0912.JPG
274.JPG
L1040043.JPG
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

Armson

Postby Armson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Has anyone done a size reference chart on Pumilio like the chart of springtails that is floating around?

-Byron

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Rich,

I was attempting to downplay what I perceive as people starting to place higher value on certain populations for colour ,i,e Justin saying that these Guapiles are brighter and 'better' .

It was an oversimplification of my intent - of course the populations are different.

While I applaud any attempt at legal import and certainly all attempts at locale data...we need to be careful with the marketing aspect of these ....Bigger, Brighter, Better

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:30 pm

Armson wrote:Has anyone done a size reference chart on Pumilio like the chart of springtails that is floating around?

-Byron

Many of the papers I have read include measurements of frogs worked with. It is much more reliable though when the age of the frog being measured is known. Pums keep growing for quite some time past the time they can breed. I have had an adult Black Jean for quite awhile that is approaching 30mm. Young but breeding blacks will be smaller.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

BluePumilio

Postby BluePumilio » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:09 pm

hoppityBoppity11 wrote:I dont know about everyone else here but i sure would love to sed pictures of where these frogs are being "cared" for

Just so you know, you'll be ignored from now on.

pafrogguy

Postby pafrogguy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:08 pm

Armson wrote:Frye BJs were the first frogs I bought!

However I do have quite the unique problem. My Pair of Frye BJs has stopped eating fruit flies. They are both as fat as can be but the tank I transitioned them into has so much microfauna in it that they simple ignore the fruit flies.

I just like BJs (Really who doesn't? oh yeah, my wife)

So I bought these in addition to the Frye line frogs. I was going to get the euro line BJs that a bunch of people have but I don't have the room and I think my wife is now sick of me getting BJs

-Byron

That's funny about the fruit flies. I had Cristobals do that a while back and got fat as marbles. Had to pull them out of that tank before they popped lol. I'm not sure they ignored the fruit flies altogether, but they gorged themselves on springs. And I really enjoy my blue jeans. Biggest, boldest pumilio I have.

Armson

Postby Armson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:29 pm

I will post pics of my marbles when I get home today.

-Byron

hoppityBoppity11

Postby hoppityBoppity11 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:12 pm

BluePumilio wrote:
hoppityBoppity11 wrote:I dont know about everyone else here but i sure would love to sed pictures of where these frogs are being "cared" for

And just so you know, its obvious these are no different than the panamanian pums some seem to frown upon. I know 100% for a fact you dont know anyone down there and dont have any legal operations. Someone on this thread knows this is true as hes been put in contact witj costarica leading biologist. If you had anything even close to legal going on down there I bet your ass youd post pictures in an instant because it would drive up your sales and make everyone more cofortAble purchasing. Its that simple.

Dont worry, im not attacking you...its not like you ever went out of your way to attack me on a daily basis or anything...;-)

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:00 pm

hoppityBoppity11 wrote:
BluePumilio wrote:

And just so you know, its obvious these are no different than the panamanian pums some seem to frown upon. I know 100% for a fact you dont know anyone down there and dont have any legal operations. Someone on this thread knows this is true as hes been put in contact witj costarica leading biologist. If you had anything even close to legal going on down there I bet your ass youd post pictures in an instant because it would drive up your sales and make everyone more cofortAble purchasing. Its that simple.

Dont worry, im not attacking you...its not like you ever went out of your way to attack me on a daily basis or anything...;-)

So, using your 'logic' Sid, the Panama frogs you flip now are NOT even close to legal...since there is no difference .

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:43 pm

I think we may be getting more reliable GPS /locale info but still no farms. No true captive husbandry that I am aware of.

CR may = Panama

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:54 pm

I just talked with my buddy in CR today and they have captive granny breeding and can ship to me soon.
Look forward to lots of pics but no animals for sale in first imports.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Awesome. We all know it's not 'hard' to breed these frogs. It's just that no one other than Brian K. has stepped up to the plate and made it happen (facility / documentation).

I'm almost ready to go down there myself as I'm back from Florida and quite surly with the fast approaching cold, nasty Pennsyltucky weather. I'm looking at my microchip passport as I type this...

Armson

Postby Armson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:48 pm

This is my Frye female.

-Byron
Attachments
fryebj.JPG
fatty

Armson

Postby Armson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:54 pm

This is the tank I have the frye's BJs in.
Attachments
photo-25.JPG
tank

Armson

Postby Armson » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Here are 2 pics of the guaplies
Attachments
Guapiles2.JPG
gaupiles.JPG

hoppityBoppity11

Postby hoppityBoppity11 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Beautiful guapiles but honest question....if theyre sold as farmbred would they show up with rub marks?

Ghostvivs

Postby Ghostvivs » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Just an honest question... wtf does a rub mark tell you??? Any frog can get rub marks during shipping or packaging for a show, this includes CB and WC...

hoppityBoppity11 wrote:Beautiful guapiles but honest question....if theyre sold as farmbred would they show up with rub marks?
What some see as death, others see as beauty.

Casper

BluePumilio

Postby BluePumilio » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Rub marks from two things:

1.) USFWS decided not to show up and clear them on a Fri, and couldn't be cleared until Mon as they didn't answer their phones. The animals were in the Deli cups and got the rub marks in transit.

2.) They are raised in outdoor screened enclosures.

I'm curious, how many WC frogs have rub marks? I'm talking ones you actually see in the wild. Or do they get it in transit?

If people want to accuse these being WC frogs, they are dead wrong. CR is NOT Panama. If it's so easy to get WC frogs out as CB, why is no one else doing it? Or is it because it's not that simple and breeding facilities have to be built. Think things happen overnight? This is a multi-year project. Animals aren't coming in, in large numbers for a reason.

ANYONE doubting the legality of these frogs is welcome to contact USFWS or CR itself to verify that these are being sent out with legit CITES paperwork from CR and being cleared by USFWS. In fact, Ed did just that and had to eat his words by trying to say they were smuggled. He proved himself wrong, you're welcome to waste your time and money doing the same.

Why is Sidney allowed to parade around here acting like he is someone else?

Return to “Oophaga Genus”