Ventrimaculata in situ - Leticia Colombia

R. abdita - R. altobueyensis - R. amazonica - R. biolat - R. bombetes - R. claudiae - R. cyanovittata - R. daleswansoni - R. defleri - R. dorisswansonae - R. duellmani - R. fantastica - R. flavovittata - R. fulgurita - R. ignea - R. imitator - R. intermedia - R. lamasi - R. minuta - R. opisthomelas - R. reticulata - R. rubrocephala - R. sirensis -R. summersi- R. tolimensis - R. uakarii - R. vanzolinii - R. variabilis - R. ventrimaculata - R. viridis - R. virolinensis - R. yavaricola
RanaVenenosa

Ventrimaculata in situ - Leticia Colombia

Postby RanaVenenosa » Thu May 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Hey All

Back from my vacation and excursion to the Amazon. Its at 100 yr flood levels so very hard to find frogs, although I did locate a preserve that allowed me to do some herping. I had a biology student from the Unv of Amazonas w me who was very helpful and knew where to look. In this area the morphs of Ventrimaculata are orange with legs that are either blue mottle or greenish gray mottles. They occur in the same areas. You will see from my pics they like to inhabit piles of trees limbs and live under the peeled bark of larger trees. They will deposit tads in broms (which were present but not dense), axial's of larger tropicals, and rotted trunks that could hold water. Per my guide, they were never observed above 15m. The area was heavy with leaf litter. The understory did not allow much light. At dawn/dusk, the light levels would not permit reading a newspaper. This is when the frogs were most active and impossible to find, although you could hear them. They also have green strip Trivs and a less colorful dendrobates that had a yellow and blue strip (name slips my mind) in same area. The most abundent amphibian and easy to find was the "Bufo", which had many variations. Also found lots of giant tarantulas in the area. Can you see the 1,000,000,000 mosquitos in the pic???? I was bathed in Deet so was not issue.

ok, so here are some pics. Enjoy
Attachments
IMG_1091.JPG
This is wood pile where I found the vent being photographed
IMG_1090.JPG
Common place to find vents
IMG_1107.JPG
Ventrimaculata In situ
Scott - North Dallas

RanaVenenosa

Re: Ventrimaculata in situ - Leticia Colombia

Postby RanaVenenosa » Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Did I say frogs were hard to find in the jungle? shit, i sometimes can't find them in my vivs. Well, I was happy to see what I did. They sure are beautiful to observe in nature.
Attachments
IMG_1102.JPG
Scott - North Dallas

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu May 31, 2012 10:02 pm

Awesome...welcome Back Scott and family.

Subscribed.

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 pm

I like visuals, so made pics to show specifics of where Vent tads were found by field work done by students. They would not allow me to rip apart broms or plants in the name of research to find tads (their property...) :( oh what a double standard... lol

Only tads I found were Philomedusa bicolor, which were common in the area ( adults used by natives to tip arrows for hunting.)
Attachments
IMG_1113.JPG
puddle used by various frogs for tad rearing
IMG_1004.JPG
Can you see Phyllomedusa bicolor tads??
IMG_1115.JPG
typical tad deposit site for vents
Scott - North Dallas

dtfleming

Postby dtfleming » Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Do you mean Phyllobates bicolor?
Dendrobates, Phyllobates, Rantiomeya, Epipedobates
Don

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Nope, Phylomedusa, a member of the "red eye" tree frog group - Phyllobates "Bicolor" is found on the "Pacific" - Western side of Colombia - that is long ways away. Thanks for asking me to clarify.
Scott - North Dallas

Return to “Ranitomeya Genus”