Ameerega silverstonei available anywhere ?

Ameerega andinus
Ameerega bassleri
Ameerega bilinguis
Ameerega bolivianus
Ameerega braccatus
Ameerega cainarachi
Ameerega erythromos
Ameerega flavopicta
Ameerega hahneli
Ameerega ingeri
Ameerega labialis
Ameerega macero
Ameerega parvulus
Ameerega peruviridis
Ameerega petersi
Ameerega picta
Ameerega planipaleae
Ameerega pongoensis
Ameerega pulchripectis
Ameerega rubriventris
Ameerega silverstonei
Ameerega simulans
Ameerega smaragdinus
Ameerega trivittata
pa.walt

Ameerega silverstonei available anywhere ?

Postby pa.walt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:35 am

is there anyone out there that has these. i have always liked these. s. Stewart has them on his site but i have never seen a for sale on it. or are these one of the tuff frogs to get.

cbreon

Re: Ameerega silverstonei ?

Postby cbreon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:14 am

Join the list of people that would love to work with some. I almost got some back in the early 2000's but some bad luck and a vacation mishap ruined my chances. I have heard there are still some around but probably fetch upwards of $500 each...

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:05 am

I 'almost' got some in the early 2000's also Craig. Waited for over two years for the trade, after I had supplied my end of the deal . Seemed the guy who said he was breeding them never really bred them when while were trading...
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 am

BTW Walt, contact Eric M.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

pa.walt

Postby pa.walt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 pm

after i wrote this did some "looking around" read that this is a very tough frog to keep and breed. read that some people had them and as soon as they transfered them to a diferent viv they died. or they bred and then stoped breeding for these people. i just wonder why sean stewert has had them posted on his site for all these years and not see "availible for sale''.
i guess now i know why you don't see any for sale.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:05 pm

I think a few 'west coast' hobbyists had them, but you are right Walt, that species is hard to keep in addition to rare in the hobby. Nice looking though.

goods

Postby goods » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:11 am

ZG

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:04 am

Nice colour on that bad boy. Do you use Naturose or similar?

cbreon

Postby cbreon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:53 am

Most of the Silverstonei I have been seeing lately have colored in nicely. Like many Ameerga, it seems they don't reach full coloration until 18-24 months. I definitely would like to have a nice big display tank with some silverstonei eventually, they'd be my only non-obligate.

goods

Postby goods » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:12 am

The photos almost capture the intensity of red in these animals. It's still a tad washed out. Their colors are funny in that the red coloration isn't consistent throughout the frogs. Some spots, especially near the fringe of red/black transition, are almost gray to whitish as if there is no pigment present at all. Getting them to this color has taken some research, effort, and patience, but I'm almost happy with the progress. I use a rotation of Superpig, Naturose, and a formulation I've developed myself with the help of some of my former professors in fisheries management. They also have the option for UVB basking a few days a week.
ZG

joneill809
Site Admin

Postby joneill809 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 am

Great looking frog Zach! How's the new water feature working out with them? Can you share more on the UVB setup?
Jim from Austin please contact me if you are willing to trade offspring from:
lorenzo - schwinn line|NAIB true sips|fantastica nominant
http://www.oneillscrossing.com/dart-frogs/

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks for the info Z. I was pretty positive that they needed some, somewhat intensive colour supplementation and that they were not going to just 'colour up' with age.

goods

Postby goods » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:52 am

Water feature is finally looking the way I want it to...had our first storm since moving them and no go. I think they need to settle in a bit, and we can finally see some successes.

The UVB is just an Arcadia bulb (6% I think) that is attached to the same timer as my regular lights. They have their own switch, so I just flip it on a few hours multiple days a week when I'm sitting down doing homework. Back half of the top is all glass and the front half is about 1/4 screen.

Don't get me wrong...I think they'd color up to a degree with just regular supplementation, but you won't see any red ones that way. I'll never see those great colors that are represented in field photos, but I'm going to do everything I can to get as close to wild as possible.
ZG

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:55 am

Do you observe them basking, under the UVB, like Red heads ?

goods

Postby goods » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 pm

It's too soon to tell. They sit under the spot where UV would emit, but that also seems to be one of their go to spots regardless. I'm not sure if they're seeking out the UV in times when it's off by sitting there, or if they just like that area of the tank.
ZG

Return to “Ameerega Genus”