Epipedobates maculatus
Epipedobates myersi
Epipedobates rufulus
Epipedobates tricolor
Epipedobates zaparo
Dendrodave

coco huts for E. anthonyi ?

Postby Dendrodave » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Hello all, has anyone ever had E. anthonyi lay in coco huts or film cans, just rearranging my group of E. anthonyi viv and wonder if it's just a waste of space that I'm taking up using the coco hut if they are never going to use it anyway. The care sheet here does mention anything about coco huts. :)

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: coco huts for E. anthonyi ?

Postby Philsuma » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:03 pm

Never tried huts for mine. I've not heard of anyone reporting great success with huts.

I did have film cans but mine always preferred laying on leaves.

oh...I had 2.1...if that matters.

RanaVenenosa

Re: coco huts for E. anthonyi ?

Postby RanaVenenosa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:42 am

I have limited experience w Tricolor, but I will share my observations. I have both film cans and a coco hut w my Tricolor. My (2.1) will all congregate on and hide in the coco hut, but I have never seen any eggs inside it (I occasionally check, although my males are still young, so I don't expect anything yet). I treat the coco hut as "furniture" for frogs use. I would not think a coco hut is a waste of space even if it's never used as an egg deposition site. Before I put in a coco hut, they liked to perch on the highest area in the leaf litter, which was a big chuck of live moss. The coco hut stands up to frog waste better and makes for a good shelter. I have never seen the frogs explore the film cans, but a few times I have found frog defecation in them. I will update the thread if I ever see any evidence to the contrary.

regards
Scott
Scott - North Dallas

Return to “Epipedobates Genus”