Eggs and Tadpoles By Mail ?

How and when to ship. What box / packing to use. Carrier reviews. Importation questions and answers.
Frogopolis

Eggs and Tadpoles By Mail ?

Postby Frogopolis » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Has anyone here ever bought eggs or tadpoles from another dart frogger? I know of several companies that sell tadpoles but I never see ads in the classified section for eggs or tads. I myself have sent tadpoles three times and they all arrived okay.

The reason why I'm asking is that I no longer keep eggs and raise up frogs. I check the cocohuts and film cans every day and just destroy the eggs. I hate doing it but I just don't want to raise up froglets right now. It's too time consuming and an added expense for really no profit.

Currently I have two film canisters with about 6-7 eggs each of Iquitos that we're laid yesterday or the day before. I hate having to cull them. My mated pair of Azureus haven't bred for about 9 months but yesterday I found eggs. Right now I try and do what I can to slow down and discourage breeding but it still happens.

I've been thinking it out and I'm pretty sure the eggs would be able to travel for a couple of days this time of year with a heat pack and in an insulated box. Eggs and tadpoles are a lot tougher than most people think. The biggest problem would be finding someone who would be will to pay the expense for Overnight or 2nd Day shipping. I think it would be kind of neat to have someone get eggs from me and raise them up to frogs and let us know how it all turns out.

BTW - When I sent tadpoles it was with other frogs and it was overnight shipping. I used containers about the size of a baby food jar with a screw on lid. All I added was their water, a few small pieces of the Indian Almond leaf they had been feeding on and either anacharis or java moss. I filled the container a little more than halfway with water. I don't think the lack of air circulation is really important because they're only in transit for about 12-15 hours, roughly.

Let me know what you think.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: Eggs and Tadpoles By Mail ?

Postby Philsuma » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Ship tadpoles in a small test tube like plastic container like in this attached thread link.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5209

There's nothing wrong with shipping eggs or tadpoles as long as the OTHER party has their expectations correct. There have been many instances of screaming bloody murder over deaths ect. It's not best practice shipping young animals but it CAN be done provided both parties are on the same page.

Frogopolis

Postby Frogopolis » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 pm

Philsuma wrote:Ship tadpoles in a small test tube like plastic container like in this attached thread link.

http://dartden.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=5209

There's nothing wrong with shipping eggs or tadpoles as long as the OTHER party has their expectations correct. There have been many instances of screaming bloody murder over deaths ect. It's not best practice shipping young animals but it CAN be done provided both parties are on the same page.

Phil - thanks for moving my post...I forgot about the plastic test tubes but I think what stopped me before about using them was that when I went to buy them I had to purchase them in quantity - it was some ridiculous amount that I would never be able to use up.

I guess the reason for my post was to see how many people would even consider buying eggs or tadpoles by mail. I know for a fact that there are guys that do it all the time but they are either friends or know each other very well. Seven years ago when I first set-out to get "Iquitos" I hardly ever saw them for sale by private individuals and when I did they were somewhat pricey. I would have jumped at the chance to get a clutch of eggs or tadpoles for a reduced price, if not for free, albeit just for the cost of shipping. I have somewhere between 25-27(at last count) of these tiny little frogs in three separate enclosures. Most of them are from UE and the rest are from a select few private individuals that can trace the lineage of their frogs. I went to great lengths to insure the integrity of this breeding group. BTW - I've kept every single shipping order from UE over the years for these frogs.

If anyone isn't familiar with these frogs I will say that there has been confusion with this species over the years, the locations and lines that are here in the U.S., including issues like taxonomy. There is a whole history of this species that needs to be carefully researched before someone goes out and buys them and attempts to breed them. I will hold off and not name individuals or companies(for the sake of explanation) that have dealt with this frog because it only brings out ridiculous arguements that are pointless. It's the old type of back and forth thing like, "They were part of the old Joe Blow line that he purchased from Peppermint Patty when she received a group that were suppose to be Yada yada yada...and then some were unknowingly mixed with yada yada yada. But then Lando Calrissian back 'in '95 bought a group of frogs that were incorrectly labeled yada yada yada". Those kind of stories.

I am so dedicated to this particular species that I have two standard 90 gallon aquariums and one Exo Terra 36x18x24 devoted just to them. I don't know what it is about this little frog, but I just like them. They are tiny, a blood-orange color with black and blue netting on the legs, they are active all throughout the day and breed relatively easy.

Or, you could just go out and buy a really cool looking frog from Dart Frog Warehouse(if that's what they're still calling themselves)!

That's it...that's all I got.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm

The main premise behind shipping tads and even eggs is to obtain these animals for less than the cost of a juvenile or larger frog. Saving money. Lots of people will absolutely jump at the chance for a 'half priced' animal , i.e an egg or a tad. Gotta be careful because a high percentage of people will cry and demand a refund if their tads or eggs arrive dead or die soon after shipping. In other words, there is a lot of risk involved here.

Return to “Shipping Issues. Importing.Traveling with Frogs.”