Amazon here I come

Discussions about Bodies, Lenses, Gear, Flash units, Accessories. Advice on photography. FIELD HERPING Discussion.
RichFrye

Re: Amazon here I come

Postby RichFrye » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:07 pm

stemcellular wrote:
RichFrye wrote:Well , I can tell you that your rubber boots , off the shelf, are by far the first rubbers I've heard of which are better forming, have better traction, and mobility (including fairly important climbing) than shoes and boots made for such things. Rubber protects from water sometimes (they don't breath) and snake bites, sometimes. I never understood the want to remain dry all day, in the jungle...because you won't, usually.

In rain and wet clay, they are the only thing that hold up; no matter the quality of boots, and I had great boots, if you are doing wet weather work, climbing, hiking, you will end up in gum boots, or with rotted feet.

...which explains why the governments with jungle training/environments for their military give them cheap rubber boots...

Anyway, bring both, or bring the shoes you are already comfortable with and if they suck buy cheap rubber booties down there. I'm not sure what properties there are that make good quality boots or shoes "not hold up". I have the same exact shoes I've worn in wet, wet, clay , rock, hills, rivers, streams, bullet ants piles, mudslides, etc.
I do know of a buddy who likes the booties as they are easy on and off and water proof for quick looks around. He also labels a waterfall on his property as "unpassable". I easily climb it/'pass it' almost every time I visit, in sneakers.
I doubt any casual frogger is sleeping out directly in the jungle for days on end with wet feet. Feet dry out just fine (like from a day at the beach) when the day's over.
But again, the easy answer is bring a good pair of hiking boots or sneakers with and if they don't cut it buy cheap rubber boots.
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

If tone is more important to you than content, you are at the wrong place.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

RanaVenenosa

Postby RanaVenenosa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Wow lots of great tips Ya'll Thanks!!

Ear plugs - I forgot about that one, Monkeys, Parrots, and snoring are real threats, 0% chance of parties where I am going.

I have my REI clothes from prior travels - wicking, breathable, water resistant, can rinse in a sink and they are dry by AM. My REI boots have great soles and dry very quick, but in evening (when I am on the boat) I will chg to tennis or use my diver booties.

Like everyone else, I have to take my chances w Dengue - its bad if you get mixed strains

Flashlight - Check

Extra camera batteries and memory - check

The guides available where I am going are trained locals hired by the tour operator (they have boats, know where everything lives etc) Of course i am hardly roughing it. Yes its the Amazon, but I will sleep on a big floating boat. This excursion has to be adventurous wife friendly :)

Maybe next year, if I save my pennies, I can camp in the jungles of Costa Rica w a bunch of Dart frog nuts.

Chao
Scott - North Dallas

BluePumilio

Postby BluePumilio » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:15 pm

That would be fun, but I'd prefer Panama, more variety. :)

RanaVenenosa wrote:
Maybe next year, if I save my pennies, I can camp in the jungles of Costa Rica w a bunch of Dart frog nuts.

Chao

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:54 am

RanaVenenosa wrote:
Like everyone else, I have to take my chances w Dengue - its bad if you get mixed strains

It's bad (bad, very ,very bad) if you get it once...much worse possibly if you get it twice...
4 viral strains?
Darts with parasites are analogous to mixed tanks, there are no known benefits to the frogs with either.

My new email address is rich.frye@icloud.com and new phone number is 773 577 3476

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:27 am

...it's worth it.

blocker institute

Amazon here I come

Postby blocker institute » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:05 pm

Truly the best defense against infections and hemorrhagic fevers (ugh!) is your health! If you are free of nutrient deficiencies and your immune response is strong you can better resist all the nasty stuff.

Everyone should get a spectracell test for nutrients .....check out www.spectracell.com

You can google for details :)

Philsuma
Site Owner

Postby Philsuma » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm

oh I dunno...my friends that drank a lot of booze and were big pot-heads didn't get bit by mosquitos, sandflies, noseeums, land leeches and ticks but I did and I'm relatively clean and "good-livin'.

oh....they didn't a bot fly either....I did.

blocker institute

Amazon here I come

Postby blocker institute » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 pm

That's cause weed is the best vitamin there is :) just give it a try :)

RichFrye

Postby RichFrye » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:14 am

Well, as I understand how Dengue works, there are four strains. The very young and very old, being they are weaker than healthy adults, in general, are more susceptible to death and more of the tougher symptoms . Makes sense.
But, actually being infected should have zero to do with nutrients in our body. If you are bitten , you'll most likely get Dengue. It's more about how you go through the excruciating pain and lesser symptoms.
Next is the important part. The first time you get Dengue it will most likely not become DHF, hemorrhagic. There are four strains of the virus and after you get infected with one of the four it is much more dangerous and possible that Dengue will turn into Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever because chances are better that you will be infected with one of the three remaining strains and your body thinks it is going through the same exact viral strain and proceeds to protect from some thing it thinks it has already gone through. When in reality it is fighting off the wrong strain and your body gets worse and dengue becomes DHF.
I'm not a doctor, or vet, so as always look up the facts if concerned. They're always presented better than I can write.

I forgot to add a good camera to the list. But the main thing on pics is a nice flash (ring for macros) for when pics are impossible other-wise.

Rich

Return to “Cameras and Equiptment”