What type of water to mist with ?

All H2O issues. Reverse Osmosis (RO), Distilled, Rainwater, Tadpole tea, ect
gundog100

What type of water to mist with ?

Postby gundog100 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:31 pm

For daily Vivarium misting, is it best to use bottled spring water or the water from within the viv already (water feature) ?

Cindy Dicken

Postby Cindy Dicken » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:09 pm

I would use fresh water, and not try to recylce water in the vivarium.
One purpose of misting is to 'rinse' the vivarium, and by using water that is in the vivarium you are using 'dirty' water to rinse the vivarium.

gundog100

Postby gundog100 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:43 am

Thanks Cindy, so do you mean spring water or tap water?

brettlt

Postby brettlt » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I use distilled water. Others use reverse osmosis. Tap water can be used, but it needs to be treated for chlorine and such before use.

Cindy Dicken

Postby Cindy Dicken » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:51 pm

We prefer to use R/O water to mist with.
Our tap water has a very high PH and leaves water spots.

divingne1

Postby divingne1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:12 pm

I also use RO/DI water.

munchi

Postby munchi » Sun May 04, 2008 5:19 pm

i have heard that RO water is actually starved for minerals and that it will "take" them from your frogs if misted. is this true? i have an RO system in my house but im afraid to use that water!

kristy55303

misting

Postby kristy55303 » Tue May 13, 2008 8:05 pm

I use spring water to mist with.....it has to actually say "spring water only" on the bottle. Distilled does lack important minerals and is very safe to use for misting the Viv. If you are afraid to use RO water.....use spring water from store....just a couple bucks now and then for a bottle - not too much to spend for the health of your frogs.

dendromom

Re: misting

Postby dendromom » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:37 pm

kristy55303 wrote:spring water.....has to say actual spring water only on bottles is great also to use. Distilled does sometimes lack important minerals and is very safe. If you are afraid to use ro water.....use spring water from store...just a couple bucks now and then for a bottle. not much to spend for the health of your frogs.

Spring water, distilled water, RO water are equally fine. The point is SANITARY filtered, sterilized water versus chemical-laden tap water. If you properly supplement your flies with vitamin and calcium while feeding to the frogs, the minerals they get from the water are negligible----plus many 'big name' spring waters are RO filtered anyway.

dendroworks

Re: What type of water to mist with ?

Postby dendroworks » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:14 am

We use filtered rainwater.

Philsuma
Site Owner

Re: What type of water to mist with ?

Postby Philsuma » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:19 pm

I think you'll find that everyone will use different water...R.O, Distilled, Tap, Spring.

No right or wrong. The only difference is that harder water is going to leave some mineral deposits (white crud) on some parts of the glass ect.

Return to “Water and Humidity Discussion”